Can't gain weight..! :O

Options
So I was done with my cutting phase; eating at a calorie deficit, about 1700~1800 per day, for 3 months.

For the last couple of weeks, I've been increasing my calories to about 2600~2700 per day as I've decided to start bulking.

But for those 2 last weeks, I've been still losing weight. ( 0.3 kg and 0.2 kg the other week )

How is that possible? I used to be a fat guy who just gains weight staring at food.

And should I add more calories or what should I exactly do if I want to gain?

Activity: I'd consider myself lightly active. +3 strength training, +1 sprinting training, +1 5k race per week.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So I was done with my cutting phase; eating at a calorie deficit, about 1700~1800 per day, for 3 months.

For the last couple of weeks, I've been increasing my calories to about 2600~2700 per day as I've decided to start bulking.

But for those 2 last weeks, I've been still losing weight. ( 0.3 kg and 0.2 kg the other week )

How is that possible? I used to be a fat guy who just gains weight staring at food.

And should I add more calories or what should I exactly do if I want to gain?

Activity: I'd consider myself lightly active. +3 strength training, +1 sprinting training, +1 5k race per week.

Eat more...
  • annadenny
    annadenny Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough of the right calories? Fats, Carbs, Protein, ect?
  • meeshellwang
    Options
    Running a 5k is really deteriorating on your muscles and body, if you're going as hard as you can. This may be the issue, I ran cross country for my school and was eating probably around 3,000 calories a day and was still losing weight. If you can, try running one every OTHER week, and see how this helps your weight gain. Also, try whey protein supplements if you are not already.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    You aren't a fat sloth anymore. You're an active young man who needs to eat like an active young man. If you want to bulk while running weekly 5k races and strength training, eat more foods.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Running a 5k is really deteriorating on your muscles and body, if you're going as hard as you can.

What a load of twaddle! 5k is nothing.

OP - if you want to gain weight just keep increasing your calorie goal week on week until you find your TDEE. That's not a huge exercise routine so the answer lies in your intake.
  • Blakewc
    Blakewc Posts: 106
    Options
    Bro you have got to slow down on the running, there isn't any point really to doing that right now. Lift heavy, compound lifts. Dead lift, squat front and rear, overhead press, flat and incline bench, bend over barbell row. Make sure you are not doing any cardio before you lift. Start a 5x5 program...if you don't know what that is check out strong lifts.com. Or at least make sure you are keeping in in the 6-8 only rep range 3-4 sets...would be impossible to lift 9 type of thing. You will gain, promise. Again. NO cardio before you lift, warm up with lighter weight sets, 2-3. Now it's time to sweat and gain.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Running a 5k is really deteriorating on your muscles and body, if you're going as hard as you can.
    LOL Wut? It's a half hour or so of ss cardio. I don't think we're thinking of the same 5K....

OP, eat more calories.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    OP: each of your posts concerns me a bit more. You begin to sound like some of our younger female posters with troubling eating habits and body image.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Running a 5k is really deteriorating on your muscles and body, if you're going as hard as you can. This may be the issue, I ran cross country for my school and was eating probably around 3,000 calories a day and was still losing weight. If you can, try running one every OTHER week, and see how this helps your weight gain. Also, try whey protein supplements if you are not already.
    How is running 3 miles a week going to "deteriorate" his muscles and body?
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    keep eating then.