New Mommy and New to Site!

Options
Hi there! I just thought I'd introduce myself as a way of saying "I'm doing this!"

I'm a new mommy to the cutest 10 week old little boy (ok, ok, I know I'm biased :) But one thing that's not new to me is weight loss. I've had an up and down journey with food and my weight. At my wedding 3 years ago, I was at the lowest I've ever been and felt amazing. Those first few years of marriage caught up with me, but after dealing with 2 unexplained miscarriages, I got back on the weight loss wagon and got down to my wedding size.

After an amazing pregnancy and the birth of Owen, I'm pretty excited to get there again. I'm breastfeeding my little man so I'm going to watch my milk supply super carefully as I start to add exercise and take away food.

Pre-mommy jeans and my favorite honeymoon dress . .here I come!

Replies

• sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site and also Congrats on having that precious baby. We are glad you have joined us in this lifestyle journey to being healthier and all that you can be. God Bless, brenda
  • iluvdaisies
    Options
    Thanks so much for the welcome Brenda. You look AMAZING! :)
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    Congratulations on your new baby! :flowerforyou:

I am currently breastfeeding my 6 month old (where's my little baby gone!!!) and I finally joined MFP in late April when the weight wasn't coming off. When I started, I didn't know how to log breastfeeding so I wanted to share my knowledge incase you need it. When I started, I went into my exercise tab and put in 141 minutes of breastfeeding (burning 400 cals) in the cardio section. It then gave me those extra 400 cals for my food log. Or, you can also log your BF cals by going into your food log directly (not going into the exercise tab). To do that, you just enter "Breastfeeding" in the food search and it'll pop up. You then select the ounces (if I'm remembering correctly) and once you hit enter, it'll show up as a calorie deficit on your food log. I prefer to log mine in the exercise log, though. Either one will work.

If you're breastfeeding, you burn anywhere from 300 to 600 calories a day (which you probably know already). Every ounce of breastmilk you make/expel burns 20 calories so if you know how much you're producing, you'll know how many cals to add to your diet. Everyone is different so this is just a rough estimate. If I feel hungry, I'll eat more as long as it's a smart choice. I was doing great on around 1600 cals per day & I'm 5' 4.5" and currently 116 lbs. Everyone is different but this should give you some idea. You will probably want to try something like this and see if it works for you. The most important thing is to keep that milk flowing for your little one.

You'll find this site is TONS of FUN and people give you amazing support! Seriously, it's absolute MAGIC as long as you are honest with yourself, log everything and stay in the correct calorie zone that works for you. Again, you'll probably have to play around to see what works best. Don't get too frustrated if you don't lose every week because there were times with me that I would lose every other week but the weightloss was significant enough to cover both weeks. Be careful to eat enough cals otherwise you'll screw up your metab and stop losing. Please read the following links/threads which have invaluable info. I wish I had read these sooner!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/55796-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

I hope this helps, Mama! Congrats again! Enjoy that little one!! :heart:
  • iluvdaisies
    Options
    Jen - thank you SO much!! I was just going to post about how to calculate breastfeeding because I wasn't finding a way to add it into my profile. So thanks for reading my mind and for the great links! :)
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    Jen - thank you SO much!! I was just going to post about how to calculate breastfeeding because I wasn't finding a way to add it into my profile. So thanks for reading my mind and for the great links! :)

Glad to help! When I started, I was lost and had to fish around to figure out how to incorporate BF into MFP so I try to let new BF Mamas know when I see them post. So glad you joined this site! :flowerforyou:
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    During my pregnancy I gained a ton of weight and I wasn't small to begin with. I also discovered some health issues that caused me to eat my way through pregnancy. But this site has been an amazing tool for me and I hope it will be for you as well! Please feel free to add me.
  • iluvdaisies
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement lisalynn!