Busy Lifestyle - Not Eating Right

Options
I'm sure a lot of you out there are just like me, always on the go. I am a substitute teacher during the week usually from 8am-4pm and then a minimum of 3 evenings out of the week I work at a hospital from 5pm-8pm. On top of that I work on the weekends at the hospital 8am-8pm and all my other week day evenings I'm usually running from sporting event to sporting event supporting the kids I substitute for. Needless to say I'm gone all day from 7am-9pm. And I need help...

I'm having a hard time being able to fit in all my meals throughout the day and I'm not big on snacking. So when I get home at 8 or 9 at night I usually eat something quick, usually unhealthy, like fast food or a frozen entree. The last thing I want to do after getting home from a full day and being so late at night is cook.

So here is what I'm hoping to hear from you...
- If you have a busy lifestyle like me how do you find time to make sure you are getting in all your meals?
- If you are someone who gets in late at night and is drained and doesnt want to cook as well, what do you suggest for meals?
- Anything else that is on your mind when it comes to this topic or my situation is always welcomed.

Thank you!!! :smile:

Replies

• wildmustng87
    Options
    I don't have *specific* recipe suggestions for you but... Cooking meals ahead of time and freezing them in single portion containers that you can just pull out of the freezer and reheat is a good way to forego the fast food, since you know you have something quick in the freezer at home. I found it helped me a lot because I never had time in the morning to make lunch and was buying fast food on my lunch breaks. Now I can just grab some frozen soup or casserole or whatever out of the freezer and take it to work. Many recipe sites will allow you to search for freezer friendly recipes, which makes it a bit easier.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    1. Calorie-dense foods as snacks. Rather than your chocolate bar, take whole almonds or other nuts that you like.
    2. Pre-cook and freeze. I often have an entire week where I don't cook. Instead, I cooks large quantities on weekends.

I freeze chili, gulasch (a form of casserole), self-made sauces... it keeps my meals healthy and I spent less than 10 minutes on preparation on a meal during the week.
  • BeckZombie
    BeckZombie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'll just echo everyone else and say that cooking enough food for the week when you have time is the BEST way to make sure you have something healthy to eat. I'm always tired after work and will get fast food if I don't have something waiting at home, so I like to make casseroles or other "larger" dishes that I can refrigerate or freeze. That way, I know I have dinner/lunch ready for the week. Portioning them out ahead of time makes it easy for you to take them with you, too.
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Crockpots! These are my go-to for my long days of classes, activities, homework, gym, and errands as a busy college student. Chop, throw-in and turn on in the morning and then you'll have a delcious, healthy meal when you get home. Look for recipes that can take 10-12 hrs on low so that you'll won't have to worry about stuff being dried out/burnt. Also, invest in the slow-cooker liners so you won't have a big dish to scrub. :)

ETA: I also bring snacks like a piece of fruit (bananas, apples, and oranges are my favorites), mozzerella cheesesticks, beef jerky, or crackers and nuts. Hope this helps!