Advice for gradually moving into a GF Diet?

Options
Hello, MFP members!

I have been doing a bit of research this morning and I read that a gluten-free diet may be beneficial to the skin disease that I believe I have. (hidradenitis suppurativa).

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share advice on how I can start this right away?

I know that this will be quite difficult. I live at home with my parents and they buy the groceries so I will more than likely be on my own with this which will be challenging.

My diet lately has been primarily pasta, rice, breaded meats, and cheeses... I have not been eating enough fruits and vegetables and the ones that I have been eating are really carbohydrates... (potatoes, corn, peas).

tl;dr - Advice for starting a gluten-free diet?

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    corn pasta is a must
    pretty sure rice is fine
    as for bread you can get gluten free bread at many supermarkets now or just forget about it, I've stopped eating it pretty much completely now
    more fruits
    more veggies
    and p.s. carbs arent bad
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    just do it. if yo seriously have issues with it then doing it gradually isn't an option. for instance i'm allergic to wheat and it gives me hives and constricts my throat and affects my breathing. easing into GF diet isn't something that needs to be asked about if you really have health issues from it.

if you truly have issues with gluten then do your research because gluten is included in many other things besides pasta and bread. gluten is also in certain meats, sauces, salad dressings, coffees, etc as well as cosmetics and meds.
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There are loads and loads of gluten free replacements for pasta and bread. You can even buy gluten free pitta bread, rolls and muffins, cakes... The list is endless but it's trial and error till you find the ones you like. I can really recommend hienz gluten free pasta.

Rice and potatoes are safe. Most things that are breaded or processed do contain wheat and gluten so you have to check the labels. Gluten free sausages are usually far superior to non gluten free as they don't contain as much crap. Just ask your parents to check labels and be aware and find what products are available and ask that they use them. If they like convenience fries (chips here) there are gluten free available but again check labels or make your own!

Gluten free existence is a lot easier than it used to be. I'm quite find of gluten free wraps by Newburn bake house and products by genius. Not sure what to suggest of you're in the US. I'm in UK
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Try it.

If it were me: I'd avoid most of the "replacements" except pasta and a bread if you need that. Skip all the GF snack foods. They are total rubbish. imho.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has celiacs(sp?) and said they maintain a mostly paleo diet for her... maybe something to check out?

edit: also - check out gluten free recipes... theres tons out there and might be a good place to start for home cooked meals.
  • gangsterfurious
    Options
    Start eating your fruits and veggies!
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Add me. I'm GF due to a super strong wheat allergy that messes with my stomach AND my asthma.

There are TONS of options. GF stuff is almost always labeled. If you like to use a crockpot there's a site called A Year of Slow Cooking. The lady that runs it, Stephanie O'Dea, one of her daughter's has celiac so they are a GF family and all the recipes on there are GF. Personally, I make most of the bread and snacks myself. Tastefully simple has a GF line that I LOVE! Aldi's (not sure if you have them where you are) has GF baking mix and brownie mix for a very reasonable price. I made pancakes the other day with it, YUM! The grocery train around the corner from us has an entire GF section, I usually only get the pasta when it's on sale and buy a bunch. Trader Joe's is a good place to go to as well. The local farmer's markets I go to have some awesome GF options too, very worth checking out in your area. Squash is a great substitute for regular pasta and even pizza crust. Anyways, loads of options :-D
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Try it.

If it were me: I'd avoid most of the "replacements" except pasta and a bread if you need that. Skip all the GF snack foods. They are total rubbish. imho.

This. I do keep GF pasta on hand, but other than that I find the replacements are just pricey and disappointing.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have mild icthyosis and since going primal/paleo 6 months ago I have seen relief that I have not seen ever in my life. I do not suffer from celiac's but do feel that gluten and other grains cause inflammation in the gut which leads to inflammation manifestation in other parts of the body. You may not have to cut out all grain but gluten is a great place to start. Try to eat high quality proteins, fats, vegetables, and fruit. Avoid any type of wheat product, pasta, bread, farro, wheatberries, etc. You may be able to experiment with sprouted foods down the line but see if this alleviates any issues first. I also agree that GF coined foods should be avoided, they are mostly fillers and junk. And you most certainly do not have to be low carb. Maybe experiment removing one type of grain for a few weeks each then see how your body reacts when you re-introduce them. That is a great way to pinpoint what may be causing you trouble. You should also maybe take a look at dairy, it can cause skin issues. I don't want to eliminate dairy so was very pleased when I found it not to be the cause of some skin and joint problems but it's good to test anyway.

Good luck and keep us posted on how everything goes :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Step 1. Stop eating foods containing gluten.

Step 2. There is no step 2.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If you truely want to see if it's gluten that's the problem then go straight onto a gluten free diet, don't do it step by step. For many people with gluten-related illnesses even having a minute amount in the diet will still cause symptoms, so there is no point weaning yourself off it and if you are going to do it then you need to do it properly. That includes looking at the ingredients list on everything and learning which E-numbers and versions of starch etc. are sourced from gluten.

My sister has Celiac disease and maintaining a gluten-free diet is not something that she or anyone who prepares food for her can ever forget. Gluten is in EVERYTHING - sausages, many rice products (it sneaks in as a flavour enhancer), and even products that label themselves as wheat free.

If you want to do it properly it would be worth getting in touch with a dietician and planning a diet that will work for you, and also a test period where you add gluten again and see if your symptoms come back.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    just do it. if yo seriously have issues with it then doing it gradually isn't an option. for instance i'm allergic to wheat and it gives me hives and constricts my throat and affects my breathing. easing into GF diet isn't something that needs to be asked about if you really have health issues from it.

THIS

I have celiacs and if it's really bothering you, there is no "gradually". I stay away from "Gluten Free" labeled products all together. The added sugar and crap they put into it to help sub the gluten is enough to keep me away. Plus, it is usually higher in Calories.

Paleo is a really simple way to stay Gluten Free. However, I enjoy my peanuts and bananas too much...

Stuff that helps me out:
    Turkey Jerky - High in protein and low in fat
    Corn Tostadas - You can put anything on them and you can even make them yourself
    Corn Chex - for a quick breakfast in the morning
    Grits - Breakfast
    Eggs - Breakfast
    100 Calorie Nut Packs
    Organic Whey Protein Powder
    Almond Milk
    Salad Items
    Fruit
    Lean Meats - I find Rabbit, Moose and other random animal meats at my local farmer's market
    Curry Mixes - Most Indian sauces are GF
    Rice
    Almond Flour and Coconut Flour - They even make a Gluten Free flour that I bake with when I get a sweat tooth. I make the best banana bread!
    Jello

Things I Stay Away From
    Asian Sauces - they are sneaky
    Mexican Sauces
    Coffee Add ins
    Dressings - Kraft Italian makes me sooooo sick
    FLAVORED ANYTHING - You need to check it very carefully. They sneak it into the weirdest places.
  • andrewjuu
    andrewjuu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My daughter-in-law has celiac so I have learned to cook gluten free alternatives for when she & my son come to visit. But it's important to know that (& I remind her of this all the time) my kitchen is far from a certified gluten free environment. All the utensils, cookware, food prep surfaces, etc. are all used at various times for non gluten free cooking as well. To those that are truly gluten intolerant that cross contamination can matter. But I have learned to make some gluten free recipes just by Googling. King Arthur flour, for example, has a website page dedicated to recipes & they specifically have some that are gluten free. Those that I've tried so far have been pretty good. Also, the gluten free muffin mix that King Arthur markets is outstanding. I don't think its possible to make gluten free muffins from scratch any better than those made w/ the packaged mix they sell. At least, I can't :) Best of luck in your gluten free adventures going forward!
  • AceyFace87
    AceyFace87 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your help! I will definitely take all of your wonderful advice and start ASAP!

THANKS AGAIN!
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add that I also have hidradenitis suppurativa. It's an awful condition to deal with, and doctors (at least mine) always seem clueless as to how to treat it outside of warm compresses. I know that, for me personally, trying to avoid dairy has been VERY helpful in preventing new abscesses. Gluten doesn't seem to affect it, though I haven't tried cutting out gluten. I also add a lot of anti-inflammatory spices to my foods, which seems to help in keeping the sores I have from growing and needing lancing. Anyway, just thought I'd tell you about my experience.
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you find that a GF diet doesn't help, try eliminating nightshade vegetables for a while - potatoes, tomatoes, and peppers. They can trigger flare ups in some people.