Overnight 1kg gain that takes a week to lose again?

Options
I gained 1kg overnight the other day. I had an off-week because I had a bad cold but I was in my calories. Consistently lost a kilogram over the course of the week. One night had quite some salty nachos because I was sick and sad. They were in my calories. Got up the next morning, I was exactly 1kg up from what I had weighed the previous morning.

Had a good calorie day, lots of water, weighed in this morning and I'm still at the same weight.
I'm scared that this overnight kilogram will take me a week to lose now and that would be very discouraging.
Why does this happen? Is it likely that I'll see a faster or a bigger drop this week instead then?

It would be a shame if I put on 1kg overnight whilst in my calorie limits and then have to work a week to get rid of it..

Any info?
I doubt this is hormonal - I am now two weeks past my period and my measurements have not changed.

Replies

• candiceh3
    Options
    Salty nachos = water weight gain.

I had thai for tea last night and gained 0.5 kg. I typically take three days to lose the water weight.

Also if you previously went light on carbs your body is storing water and glycogen.
  • AshwinA7
    AshwinA7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The changes in water weight is why I would suggest weighing yourself once a week and not everyday.
  • kroonha
    kroonha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The changes in water weight is why I would suggest weighing yourself once a week and not everyday.

I have switched to only Saturday weigh-ins. The only reason I weighed myself more this week was because I was sick and not doing any exercise.
    I'm just totally bummed that I was a kilogram down two days before my weigh in, and come Saturday, I was a kilogram up and exactly at the same weigh as I was the previous week. How the hell is this even possible?
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

I have switched to only Saturday weigh-ins. The only reason I weighed myself more this week was because I was sick and not doing any exercise.
    I'm just totally bummed that I was a kilogram down two days before my weigh in, and come Saturday, I was a kilogram up and exactly at the same weigh as I was the previous week. How the hell is this even possible?
    High sodium foods --> water retention --> temporary weight gain. You didn't put on a pound of fat overnight. Relax. Drink water and stick to your plan, and it will be gone in a few days.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    It's likely water retention, not body fat increase. Chill holmes!
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    High sodium foods --> water retention --> temporary weight gain. You didn't put on a pound of fat overnight. Relax. Drink water and stick to your plan, and it will be gone in a few days.
    [/quote]

This. Most people do not drink the amount of water they need to so their water balance is off. My buddy got discouraged when he fixed his water intake and gained like 4 pounds...he didn't gain 4 pounds of fat, his body was lack sufficient fluids. I drink 4-6 liters of water a day depending on my cardio intensity. 4 liters minimum. That is 8 pounds of water.

Your water intake is based on your weight, activity, climate, pregnant, sick, breastfeeding and any diuretics that you take (caffeinated drinks, alcoholic drinks etc). A very very general guide for sedentary person is 3 liters for a male and 2.2 liters for a female.

This is an online calculator that is fairly accurate.

http://nutrition.about.com/library/blwatercalculator.htm

I use this app on my iphone called 'Water Your Body'. There are other apps also to help track your water intake.

Don't get too hung up on your weight. It's better to measure your waist, hips, chest etc. to track your progress...take photos of back, side, front of yourself every 3-4 months to see improvements. I only use the evil scale once a week, in the morning after going to the bathroom.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options

It happens and often. If you weighed every day you would know this. Don't stress about it, it will make you nuts. I weigh everyday and every night just to see how much I'm less in the mornings. Sometimes it's 3lbs sometimes it's 4lbs and sometimes it doesn't change. What you eat or don't eat will always affect what you weigh the next day, and most times it's NOT in the way you expected.
  • CamillaHerold
    CamillaHerold Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree, weigh every day. You will quickly see a direct relationship between salty foods and temporary water weight gain. If you only weigh once a week, you would like miss the association. Salty foods do this to me too. I drink 8 to 9 cups of water a day every day and more if I eat something really salty. This helps prevent water retention. I also take special notice of my potassium intake and make sure it is adequate. A good sweat will help too! Water in, water out.