Need help buying jeans - Fell into the 16P / 16W hole

Options
2»

Replies

• TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Also, try looking for brands (like Jennifer Lopez @ Khol's) that are cut for a large bottom smaller waist ...
  • Samquentin1
    Samquentin1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Have you tried going to a thrift store? We have one by us called Savers, that is pretty nice. That way, you can try on multiple brands at once, and they are cheap, so you aren't spending too much for a pair of jeans that you will shrink out of in a few months. Then just re-donate them back when you shrink out of them. That is my secret on getting jeans that fit, and not spending too much money. :D
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    That was the hardest size transition for me! I need petite, (NOT short!!) as I have an extrememly short rise. It has gotten better (more in proportion to the garment) as I've gotten smaller. Even petite rises used to be too tall for me (I had to fold them down). I have curvy hips and thighs. My measurements now would suggest that I need a straight fit, but I still find the waist of curvy-fit jeans too big.

I did manage to find some things at the thrift store. Once you get to a size 16 around here, there is a lot more to choose from.

I found a few at Macy's that fit (and still do, in smaller sizes) in the Style & Co line when I got to a 16/14 (as in, the Lane Bryant 14s were almost always too big). They are available in the women's, regular and petite sections. I also found some trouser jeans by them that I have bought all the way down to size 8 so far (I think that pair is actually a 10, though marked an 8). Do NOT get the "shorts" in this line. I have a pair of 8 shorts, and I have to fold the waistband down, and it is still too tall. I usually get them for $30 on a not-great sale - I don't know if they can be found at a cheaper price.

I also wear some of the Wrangler ones (I got them in the same outlet shop that does Lee, Wrangler, and Vanity Fair), starting in a 16. They do tend to be a bit loose through my tummy area, but are mostly OK.

I have never been able to wear Old Navy pants as they are cut more for an apple shape, no matter what fit they are labeled.