Will I maintain?

Options
Monday: 1380 calories
Tuesday: 1450 calories
Wednesday: 1360 calories
Thursday: 1420 calories
Friday: 1200 calories
Saturday: 1500 calories

Today I had a little more than normal but do these calories show I can maintain? ( I don't want to lose weight, just maintain)

Replies

• WhisperAnne
    Options
    I should also add that myfitnesspal says I need 1650 to stay at my current weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You haven't once hit 1650 so why would you think you would maintain?
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    You haven't once hit 1650 so why would you think you would maintain?

Because I have a hunch that I have nowhere near 1650 everyday and I've maintained my weight for 3 years. I don't see where I could add wrong either as I eat almost the same food everyday.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Because I have a hunch that I have nowhere near 1650 everyday and I've maintained my weight for 3 years. I don't see where I could add wrong either as I eat almost the same food everyday.

Do you log your cals?
  • WhisperAnne
    Options

Do you log your cals?

on my phone but not on this site. I keep track of every calorie I take in, believe me. I've suffered depression from obsessing over my weight.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    You eat the same thing all the time, and have maintained for 3 years, so why would you suddenly think you will gain?
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    You say you've been the same weight for 3 years? If you want to maintain, why change anything?
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    I'm just wondering if my body is so used to what I eat now that if I suddenly eat more than 1500 or so, does that mean I could gain?
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    if 1650 is your maintenance then technically no you shouldn't be gaining from eating over 1500, you might gain water weight at first if it's a huge jump but i don't really understand the difference in your situation.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    So what's the problem? Do you want to eat more?
  • WhisperAnne
    Options

Yes I do. I'm tired of barely eating
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents, experiment. Up your cals a little, do it with healthy food.

If you find you gain eating more make friends with exercise. You'll get the bonus benefits that come with exercising and the added nutrients that come with eating more food. It is win win :-)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

Yes I do. I'm tired of barely eating
    BRAVO!!!
    Yes, you can almost certainly eat more. Expect to gain a few pounds right away when you get up to your maintenance level. This does NOT mean your metabolism is "damaged," nor does it mean that your body is "used to eating less and can't really maintain at that level and have to eat less." It's not even fat; it's a natural response that levels out after a few weeks. Here's an explanation. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/993576-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-

If you decide later on that you have gained and don't like it, you already know how to lose weight... You can choose to take off the extra couple pounds gradually with a very small deficit.

I would add the extra calories gradually; e.g., for the first week or two, eat 100 over your current net calorie target each day; the following week or two, add another 100; and so on.

It seems scary at first, but you'll probably be surprised at how much you can eat after the initial glycogen gain levels out. Enjoy!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Maintenance intake should be viewed as the maximum amount of calories you can eat to relatively maintain your weight. If you are tired of eating so little, then chances are you may not be eating the maximum amount to maintain.