For the ladies...

Options
I was just randomly surfing the internet and found this comment:

"As an ‘average man in the street’ i think i speak for the majority when i say that we are as sick of seeing girls that have the look of pre-pubescent boys being portrayed as the ideal of what men find attractive, when countless studies have sown the complete opposite to be true.

Not only is this damaging to the self-image of countless young women around the world, it promotes a darker ‘perfection’ obsessed world that encourages dangerous and literally unhealthy eating disorders, which are even more insidious.

If you are naturally thin, that’s fine! great! Bully for you!

And if you have a different body shape, THAT IS ALSO FINE! GREAT! IT IS HOW YOU ARE AND IT SHOULD BE CELEBRATED IN THE SAME WAY!

... ...

Be happy with your body, and if, however you are not, TALK TO THOSE THAT LOVE YOU FIRST, before embarking on behaviour that might cause you more anguish in the future!

Men do like real women, of all types, and all sizes, just be yourself, and stay healthy girls, FOR YOURSELF FIRST!"

(from: http://collegecandy.com/2010/06/04/duke-it-out-plus-size-2/)

The article had a lot of other comments from women who held the same sentiment, but I thought it was nice to see an "outsider's" perspective on what's attractive. I've found myself in conflict over media portrayals of attractiveness (which, logically, I realize is not real and not healthy for the vast majority of people, but emotionally I really buy into), so this kind of reinforces the idea of being healthy first and foremost.

Here's to accepting who we are! :drinker:

Replies

• Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    So true! In my younger years, those "portrayals" of women is what I wanted to be, but the truth is, I have a larger build, muscles, hips, thighs and, yes, I have a backside, too! It's only been in the last few months that I finally accepted myself for who I am and what I naturally have and learned how to accentuate those qualities. While I'm still working at getting healthier, for myself and my future, I'm not obsessed with losing weight: if I go over my cals, oh well: if I'm under, great: if I break even ,whoo hoo. The key is self love first and the rest will follow.

I will not ever look like a super model, actress, rock star or any other "ideal". I look like myself, and I've come a long way to get to this point and I'm not about to turn back. Besides, my fiance loves me for everything that I am (apparently, especially the fact that I have hips and a bit of a butt wiggle when I walk :tongue: ), and I've learned to love and accept and make better those parts that I have naturally.

Excellent post, Xarrium!
  • dfwtxmissy
    dfwtxmissy Posts: 102
    Options
    I love this .....I know I am a real woman with curves...that's why my hubbie married me....:drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump! very nice:heart:
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    For sure! My boyfriend met and fell in love with me at my highest weight. Be yourself, love yourself, take care of yourself (mind body and soul) and everything else falls into place. :)