Anyone doing (or has done) ballet fitness??

Options
I'm wondering how toned it made your body. I was debating on whether or not to invest in a ballet barre and try some ballet fitness. I've heard it does an awesome job with elongating your body and slender muscles. My goal is to be more toned, but I don't want to look buff!

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I did ballet for a long time and loved it. It did keep me toned and I was surprisingly strong but not bulky at all. I still do certain ballet workouts now because I just love it. The only thing that I would warn you about is that if you have bad knees (my right one acts up from a previous riding injury) just be careful. The jumping and plies can make those joints sore if you work them too hard. But it's a great workout and I adore it. But it's hard work too. Don't forget to check out youtube. I know they have the ballet bootcamp full workout as well as the NYC Ballet ones (which are beautiful and very fun). Cassie from Blogilates also does some ballet/pilates workouts and the Scottish Ballet has a whole channel that gives workouts on a regular basis. So those are great to look at and give it a try before spending any money.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I just use my high couch arm for a barre :) A real barre would be awesome; don't get me wrong, but you just mainly need something the right height for your flexibility and strength.

One reason ballerinas don't get 'bulky' is because they don't eat much. So keep that in mind, lol. But I do think that ballet hits different angles than most sports or lifting (for different heads of the quads, especially) and so it gives a somewhat different look even without the diet. For that, you need to remember to use turnout.

It's an awesome workout and builds a ton of strength if you try to get those legs up high. My knees hate it, though, so I can't do real ballet classes any more. No plies for me :( That's OK, though, because there are so many wonderful moves that don't require plies!

It'll really strengthen and 'tone' every muscle in your legs, your glutes, and your lower back. Add some cambres, and your mid-upper back is pretty well set, too :) The abs work during all of it.

Arm and chest work is lacking, but that's not usually why folks do ballet :) Add some moves in for that afterwards if you like, naturally.
  • nataliejulie
    Options
    Have you heard of "Ballet Beautiful"? The woman who makes the DVDs is the trainer for the Victoria Secret Angels.

I did ballet for a long time and loved it. It did keep me toned and I was surprisingly strong but not bulky at all. I still do certain ballet workouts now because I just love it. The only thing that I would warn you about is that if you have bad knees (my right one acts up from a previous riding injury) just be careful. The jumping and plies can make those joints sore if you work them too hard. But it's a great workout and I adore it. But it's hard work too. Don't forget to check out youtube. I know they have the ballet bootcamp full workout as well as the NYC Ballet ones (which are beautiful and very fun). Cassie from Blogilates also does some ballet/pilates workouts and the Scottish Ballet has a whole channel that gives workouts on a regular basis. So those are great to look at and give it a try before spending any money.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Not a clue, but like you I hear it is pretty good. Having said that I have a friend who is a dance teacher and she looks amazing!