Prepping for an obstacle course race

Options
Hello,

A question for the runners. On June 1st 2014 I will be running an obstacle course race that's 7km long on a ski hill…I'm looking forward to it.

The problem is that I am NOT a runner in any way shape or form. I suck at it. My training so far (aside from my regular exercise) is to run up an uphill road and back down again once a week. Up and down is almost 4km and I can do it in apron 35 minutes including stops for red lights and a quick breather at the top.

I'd like to take it a step further…I figure if I can run up and down the road twice in one hour I'll be ready for the race.

I had thought of also running/sprinting laps on an overpass near my house once a week. Would that be beneficial or should I concentrate on running flat ground just to concentrate on general running?

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Which race is this? I'm looking for something longer than a 5k, but with obstacles that are not as likely to require teamwork as a Tough Mudder. If it is anything like either Tough Mudder or Warrior Dash, you'll get plenty of breathers at the obstacles themselves, where there will be a logjam of runners waiting to complete the obstacle. While I can run a full 5 miles in an hour with no obstacles, I've yet to run a 5k obstacle course in less than 60 minutes.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It's called the X Man race, I think it's only in Quebec for now. I just don't want to gas out running up this mountain.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I looked up your race, and it looks more like a Tough Mudder than a Warrior Dash - the obstacles look like they're going to require teamwork. I can't guarantee you'll do as well as you'd like, but I can tell you that mud runs are lots of fun. Mud can be slippery to run in, or it can be sucking mud that will tear off your shoe. The course designers seem to have a sick sense of humor, in that they will include both types of mud, if they can. I haven't figured out how to run up or down a muddy slope, yet. Whatever your time, you're lapping the people on the couch. Just enjoy the experience!
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Options
    Thanks for the check.
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    One thing I did to get myself into running shape was I started running intervals. 2 min walk, 2 min jog, 1 min sprint, 2 min jog, 2 min walk. Gives your body time to recover and then you make it sweat all over again. I did this to prep for the obstacle 5k Warrior Dash in which I ran solo in about 38 minutes. The point I guess though isn't about speed, but completing the obstacles successfully or at least that's the mindset I keep while doing these events. I did the Tough Mudder and I wouldn't have been able to complete all the obstacles without my teammates and time was not a concern in the least. I was excited that we finished the 10 miles + 20 obstacles in a little under 2 hours. If you want to train for time, I'd do a regular 5k or 10k race. Anyways, try intervals and with the intervals, change the incline too. I know most people hate treadmills, but I've come to realize that treadmills MAKE you run at a speed that forces you to go a little faster than you may on your own freewill. Just a suggestion. Hope this helps!
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Options
    Thatnks for the suggestion. I suppose treadmills will be useful as the winter gets too severe to run in the streets. I'm not really concerned for time, its just that I'm not a runner at all and I don't want to gas out. Maybe the plan will be to try intervals one week and the overpass laps on alternating weeks.