Question about not eating enough calories

Options
I have been trying to lose weight for some time now and have always just "watched" what I ate and never tried counting calories. I cut out bread and pasta (my go-to comfort foods) a month ago and started going to the gym about 5 times per week at the same time. Have been feeling pretty crappy (really tired all the time but that's nothing new) and just not bursting with energy like I thought I'd be. My husband keeps asking me if I'm eating and saying things like he thinks I'm starving even though I have not lost a single pound and my measurements are the same. Very discouraging!! A lady at my gym said something very hurtful to me that made me want to give up but I couldn't understand what I was doing wrong. I signed up for MFP as a last ditch effort and logged my calories for the day. I ate the same food that I always do (I'm talking months or years) and even splurged on having bread. I was SHOCKED when it said I had only consumed just over 600 calories. I had NO idea I had been eating so little all this time since I almost never feel hungry. Now I know that I probably was in starvation mode and this must be the reason I'm not losing weight.

My question is, since this has been going on so long, do I automatically start eating 1200 (what MFP recommends for me) a day or do I gradually increase?

Sorry this is so long! Any input and advice would be very helpful. :)

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in starvation mode. I have never experienced it. If you aren't losing weight and you are accurately counting your calories, I suggest a visit to your doctor. Feeling tired and not able to lose weight could be symptoms of low thyroid.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,122 Member
    Options
    YES.

Start eating at least 1200 calories PLUS 300-500 more on days you go to the gym. You need to get your body healthy again.

Honestly, you probably need way more than 1200 as a base. You have a family and you're pretty active.

Welcome to MFP! Please read this terrific thread, it will help you so much.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

:flowerforyou: