Is weight loss more visible when you're slimmer?

Options
I know this probably sounds odd, but, for example, at my heaviest, when I'd have lost five pounds, it wouldn't have been very obvious. Now that I am within 15-20 pounds of my goal weight, will each weight loss/mini goal/etc show more? I hope this makes sense!

Replies

• ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think it's more obvious when you're slimmer because you've lost a higher percentage of your total body weight. 5 pounds is only 2.5% of a 200 pound person, but the same 5 pounds is 4% of a 125 pound person.
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think it's more obvious when you're slimmer because you've lost a higher percentage of your total body weight. 5 pounds is only 2.5% of a 200 pound person, but the same 5 pounds is 4% of a 125 pound person.

I was going to say the same thing
  • littlelauras
    littlelauras Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your answers. I struggle to see the weight loss myself, even though I do get more comments now. Hopefully this will make things a bit nicer/easier for me :)
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It is, I believe. I've always been small due to health problems, and a 2-3kg gain/loss is very noticeable on my frame.
  • ClaireyDeexx
    ClaireyDeexx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    For sure, in my opinion. When I lost 20 pounds barely anyone noticed. Only now I am reaching 40 pounds are people noticing. :) What matters most is that you see it and feel better! :)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    In addition to what's already been said, reductions in fat mass will be more noticeable when one retains more of their muscle mass when restricting calories. This is why a lot of women see very little change in scale weight yet see dramatic visual progress when they prioritized preservation of lean mass.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think so, at least for me. It took my losing about 40 pounds before people started commenting. (I went from 260 to 220). My clothing size stayed the same from 260 to around 230, as well (size 22/24). Now, I drop a size every 8-10 pounds once I got within 20 pounds of my goal weight.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Yes , fat loss is more noticeable at a thinner body size. It's a mathematical thing. The percentage loss of a persons body is what is noticed. If you are 100 lbs, and you lose 5 lbs, you visibly look 5 % smaller. Otherwise, if you were 200 lbs, and you lost 5 lbs, you would look 2.5% smaller.