Bipolar Friends

Options
Hey. I don't like to admit weakness, but I am sure mental illness puts a big strain on my weight loss goals. Before my diagnosis I gained a lot of weight with alcoholism. Then meds that caused me to gain a lot. Then off the meds and more alcoholism and food addiction. I am now on a very very low dose of Topamax that has allowed me to quit drinking and has helped with mood stabilization. They say it has a weight loss side effect that I will not frown upon.

Looking for people that understand the struggles of being up and down and throwing diet and exercise out the window because of it. Or any other problems associated with the illness.

Replies

• SnackHips
    SnackHips Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    *bump*
    I have weird hours so I guess I will bump this a couple times before giving up.
  • KatrinaGrey
    KatrinaGrey Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    OMG I totally understand all that. I gained 60 lbs due to various medications and then overeating due to depressive cycles. I currently am on low dosages of ability and prozac and it seems to have stabilized my mood without causing the weight gain I saw on other drugs.

Sent a request :)
  • SnackHips
    Options
    One last time just in case there are any others floating around :)
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I hope you find some people who relate to what you are going through :flowerforyou:
  • jemethyst
    jemethyst Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Im there with you too! Between mood cycles and meds, weight gain has been crazy and weight loss has been difficult. On Seroquel which had me gain 75lbs in a year, prozac, buspar, and another I cant remember the name of since they just added it. It really does add a difficult twist to changing my eating and exercise lifestyle so that I can lose weight and get healthy
  • karkaskompetisie
    Options
    I'm not bipolar but I have depression, bpd and am recovering from anorexia so I know what it feels like having to deal with all that stuff. Feel free to add me.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I get it. I have bipolar II and PCOS on top of that. My depressive episodes are terrible...I'm in one right now and the atypical features of depression, such as weight gain, coupled with the PCOS result in VERY bad self-esteem and health.
  • jemethyst
    jemethyst Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    coupled with the PCOS result in VERY bad self-esteem and health.

I've noticed this too. Ive got PCOS/PMDD and had to have extra meds added just because of the extra strength depressive mood swings/episodes I would have with those issues. Sadly my immediate family has learned when to leave me alone and try their best to ignore what I say during certain periods of the month.
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I, also, have severe mood disorder, which is a type of bipolar...I am on abilify, which on top of menopause, put fifty pounds on me! UGH!!! I have lost twenty pounds, so I am hopeful that myfitnesspal.com will continue to work for me so that I can get to a healthy weight for my height...

Reaan
  • SnackHips
    Options
    Thanks for replies. Sorry I kept posting like a weirdo, but I knew I couldn't be alone. haha I have had so many people tell me that all I need is "will power" and I am like....yea that gets you so far and then you go crazy trying to live up to it. lol
  • blondepaparazzi
    blondepaparazzi Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with Bipolar I since 2006. It has taken me quite a long time to get where I am today. And it took a lot of work, and consistent medication, and tweaking of the medication. All I can say is routine and structure is VERY good for you when it comes to fighting an illness such as this. If you want to know more please message me, and add me as your friend if you are serious about sticking with this site.
  • 1musicgrl
    1musicgrl Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi! :smile: I have bipolar as well and understand the struggle with weight and meds. I gained 70 lbs on a med I was on once. That was discouraging and kind of defeated the purpose of the medication because it made me super depressed. But thank God there is hope even in situations like this. After years of tweaking medications and having a great healthcare team, I'm on a combo that works well for me. There are all kinds of things I've learned along the way that have been helpful. And now I am working hard to lose that weight.

If you want to, you can add me, or message me for more info about this.
  • sassyred3233
    Options
    I too struggle with bipolar II. I wasnt diagnoised properly until I was 25. Before that I self medicated and just did all kinds of damage to my poor body. Since I was diagnoised and put on the proper medication things have gotten easier. I topped out weight wise in 2009 at 179 (I am 5'4) and now 4 years later I am at 155. But that being said there were alot of miss steps along the way. I found for my bipolar issues I do best when I stay away from simple sugars/carbs and fast food. I eat a mostly clean diet and am just now getting back into working out. I have found it all ties into each other, when I take my meds, sleep, eat right and exercise I feel content & happy. It is hasnt been easy by any means but I finally decided I deserve a healthy life