Cream/Creamer

Options
Everybody is jumping on the "natural" bandwagon and they have this Natural Bliss creamer out now. It has just as many calories, but it's "natural". I don't get it, though. I used to just use half and half and I guess that's natural. But I trained myself to drink black coffee because it seemed like an easy way to cut several hundred calories a day. I'm happy with my decision :)

Replies

• Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You're a stronger-willed person than I! My daily coffee creamer is my indulgence. I don't count it on my food log, I just drink it in my coffee and get on with my day. I'm not sure I understand the "natural" either, though. It's sad that we have to advertise natural food products like that.
  • TinaLRoman
    TinaLRoman Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Everybody is jumping on the "natural" bandwagon and they have this Natural Bliss creamer out now. It has just as many calories, but it's "natural". I don't get it, though. I used to just use half and half and I guess that's natural. But I trained myself to drink black coffee because it seemed like an easy way to cut several hundred calories a day. I'm happy with my decision :)

how long did it take you to get down to black coffee? I'm working on black teas and coffee with no milk, but still can't seem to get past the increasing bitterness as I scale down the milk.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Natural Bliss uses milk, unlike their "regular" creamers, which are non-dairy. As someone lactose-intolerant, I miss half and half. I'd use that if I could. I use the non-dairy stuff. It's essentially an indulgence for me. I've cut back on sugar in my coffee, but still like my cream. It fits in with my macros and calories for the day.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

how long did it take you to get down to black coffee? I'm working on black teas and coffee with no milk, but still can't seem to get past the increasing bitterness as I scale down the milk.

I don't remember exactly what the process was like but it took me at least a month, and when I had gotten to just a little half and half I switched to skim milk for a while. Maybe a really light roast coffee would help too.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I use and love heavy cream. Nothing beats it.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I remember reading online that there aren't any standards companies must follow to be "natural." Organic, however, has much more standards and should be trusted more, for the most part anyways.
    Kudos to you for being able to drink black coffee!
    I stopped using creamer, I now use milk and Monin syrups, which do add sugar sure, but hey, at least I'm getting some protein and calcium from the milk :D
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I can't drink black coffee, I've tried it and hate it. My creamer is my indulgence and I make sure I count it every day. :drinker:
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options

Why not just find a coffee you do like black?! A lighter roast would probably be a good start. Personally I have never understood the whole creamer deal. My friend in Germany uses it and I think it just makes the coffee taste foul! (Perhaps I just need to experiment and find one I like!) As for putting it in tea - I only made that mistake once.........
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    One tablespoon of creamer is 35 calories and 5-6 carbs, depending on which brand you use. I use one tablespoon of creamer and one tablespoon of heavy cream in my coffee, along with zero calorie/zero carb liquid sweetener. YUMMY!
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

I've had it before, and it tastes very good. It's cream, sugar and a natural flavor (vanilla, if I remember correctly). Of course, what is "natural flavor?" You could, theoretically, make this at home by adding a little (natural) vanilla extract to your coffee with cream and sugar. It's handy to have around the office for "emergency coffee".

I think the "big deal" is that it's real food as opposed to chemical sweateners, chemical flavorings and whatever goop makes up non-dairy cream. Of course, like someone above said, there really aren't regulations on what can be labeled "natural" here in the States.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I love black coffee, but get hypoglycemic if I drink black coffee and then get called away without eating. (to explain THAT statement, I work as a Paramedic.) I have learned to love creamy goodness in my coffee. I make my own creamer with 1:5 ratio of heavy cream to SO Unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Milk. For the season I may add a couple shakes of Pumpkin Pie Spice or peppermint extract. Very Yum!