Strong lifts warm up

Options
Ok, so I started strong lifts last week and am so far loving it. However I'm a bit confused as to what to do as a warm up. Last week I did about 5-10 mins of high knees, butt kicks, jumping jacks, and some dynamic stretches to get loose. Is this correct? Or should I be doing something else. A friend of mine said I should do 20-30 mins on the treadmill first but I sorry that if I do that my legs will fatigue before I get done lifting.
Thanks in advance for an suggestions!

Replies

• MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Your current warmup is good. I would also make sure to do warm-up sets. Download Starting Strength warm-up app. It takes the hassle out of figuring out how much weights and reps to do to warm up to your work sets.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i do 5 mins on the bike, then some dynamic stretching. next week i'm adding warm up sets with half the weight and push ups
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I do 5 mins on elliptical prior to lifting, then warm up sets for each lift.

The point is to get warmed up, not to get tired before starting.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Actual warm up sets are all that is needed to complete stronglifts.

2 sets of 5 reps with an empty bar.

Use these sets to focus on your technique.
  • Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Your warm up sets to your working sets are your warm up, no real need to do anything else. If you HAVE to do something, 5 minutes light cardio (bike, elliptical, rowing machine) is all you really need.

Also, use warmupreps.com to determine the weight to use for each warm up set.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

The point is to get warmed up, not to get tired before starting.

This. I do a 5 min run and then 2 warm-up sets with just the oly bar.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I started strong lifts last week and am so far loving it. However I'm a bit confused as to what to do as a warm up. Last week I did about 5-10 mins of high knees, butt kicks, jumping jacks, and some dynamic stretches to get loose. Is this correct? Or should I be doing something else. A friend of mine said I should do 20-30 mins on the treadmill first but I sorry that if I do that my legs will fatigue before I get done lifting.
    Thanks in advance for an suggestions!
    Correct. Dynamic stretching is good for warmups just as the others you've also mentioned.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I get on the treadmill and get my heart rate into the 120-140 range. Generally just takes a brisk walk.

Then I do some dynamic stretching and I foam-roll.

Once I get under the bar I do a 50% set, then a 75% set (no real rest in between, just the time it takes to reload the bar). Then I get into the worksets.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Actual warm up sets are all that is needed to complete stronglifts.

2 sets of 5 reps with an empty bar.

Use these sets to focus on your technique.
    I would probably think if your in a cold climate and your body is a little stiff, its probably better to at the very least do a couple minutes of mobility work beforehand.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Once I get under the bar I do a 50% set, then a 75% set (no real rest in between, just the time it takes to reload the bar). Then I get into the worksets.

This is what I do was well. Empty bar, 50%, 75%, and then working sets. For deadlifts, I sometimes add an additional set of 1 rep at 80-90% of working weight just to get used to the weight.