Elbow clicking and pain while doing push ups, bench press

Options
Hello everybody. The title pretty much says it all. I tried doing these exercises with elbow sleeve but it still didn't help. I get the clicking and the pain in my left elbow at the lowering part of both exercises (just about when my elbows are at 90 degrees angle). Thanks for the help in advance :smile:

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    There's a tendon issue going on and it's "snapping" over the bone. When I had this happen on my left elbow, I let it go for a couple of years, but eventually I ended getting my ulna shaved down a bit and since then no problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • J0hnSmith
    J0hnSmith Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    And what kind of test have been made to you? Or they did operation without testing? Which would be weird. So you didn't exercised for a few years or you just didn't cared about it?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    I hope it is not serious. I had some elbow pain during shoulder and bench press. Re-arranged my splits to avoid pushing for a week, and my problem has disappeared.
  • MileHighFitness
    MileHighFitness Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Warm up with lighter load, I pop all over before warming up..
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    Maybe lighten your load and the # of reps you do, increase your rest times, but whatever you do --the MOST important thing is... never push through joint pain, I guarantee you will regret it so much later...and see a sports doc or physical therapist if you're able to.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    And what kind of test have been made to you? Or they did operation without testing? Which would be weird. So you didn't exercised for a few years or you just didn't cared about it?
    I went to a doctor and we first tried ultra sound and therapy. I kept almost all presses to a minimum. After 6 weeks it felt great and I was cleared to try presses again. After the first session, the clicking returned. I then went to 2 orthopedists and the 2nd one really noticed how "pointed" my left elbow was. Both said I had bone spurs in my elbow, but the first one didn't think it was enough to do surgery. The 2nd said it might be the cause but we wouldn't know unless it was shaved off. So I took option 2 since the surgery wasn't really major. I did have to lay off lifting upper body for about 8 weeks though. But once I returned, no pain and very minor clicking. Clicks once when I start and fine afterward.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Oh and one other point. Lots of people "lock out" at the top of all presses. Don't do this. The weight load at this point is being supported by the joints and not the muscles. Still should be a slight bend at the top of the movement.
    Personally to keep joint pain to a minimum, a lot of my presses only go about 4/5 to lock out so I do have a more pronounced arm bend, but this has saved my joints.

IDEA Fitness member
  • J0hnSmith
    J0hnSmith Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Maybe while I'm trying to figure out this thing anyone could suggest me some exercises which I could do without elbow clicking and pain?