Fruits and Veggies

Options
What do you think about counting calories for fruits and veggies? I often find that the calories are high for most veggies and fruit. It kinda throws me off from eating them. Aren't they a good thing to eat. Should I even count the calories or is it a waste of time?

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    What do you think about counting calories for fruits and veggies? I often find that the calories are high for most veggies and fruit. It kinda throws me off from eating them. Aren't they a good thing to eat. Should I even count the calories or is it a waste of time?
    If you're using MFP as it's designed, then yes, you count the calories from your fruits, your veggies, your beverages, your sandwich spreads, your gum. . . , Calories count, regardless of source.

The Weight Watchers model does things differently. This is neither an endorsement nor a condemnation of the Weight Watchers model.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I stopped losing weight on WW because of their no need to count fruits and veggies rule. It's silly. Count them! .. and eat them. They are really important and most are low calorie.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Count calories from everything - your body does.

With respect, if you are avoiding fruits and veges because of their calorie counts, then you have bigger issues with food than overeating.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You should be replacing higher-calorie foods with fresh fruits and veggies, but definitely count them!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    in what way are they high? I can eat al lot of veggies (with dressing) before I reach the calories of a whopper xl. I can also eat quite a bit of fruit before reaching the calories of a juice.

I log everything, in fact I weigh everything including fruit and veggies in order to get an accurate count
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Every fruit every vegetable herbs etc is counted
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Very, very interesting question.... I believe that the WW model was responding to the rightful conclusion that people would not eat enough fruit/ vegetables if those fruits and vegetables had point value.

The result was the overeating of Bananas, Grapes, high sugar fruits because they were unlimited...forget common sense, the crowd predisposed to overeat ATE fruits to excess and WW weight loss improvement stalled.

Certainly common sense dictates that we need the FIBER in fruits and vegetables and no one here ( likely) got up to 250 pounds eating apples and spinach----what to do, i say count them......but eat, if you can---- 5 servings a day within your calorie allotment.

GL
  • ksmithnh
    ksmithnh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers points programs for years where fruits and veggies were 'free' so its been hard getting used to counting them, but in terms of the calories they sure are a bargain!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yes, they should be counted. They are food with calories.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    They have calories, therefore, you count them.
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I count everything
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    it goes in your mouth it goes on the log. that's the point of logging your foods so you know how many calories you are eating/drinking each day or there really is no point. good luck!