Trying to do low good carbs

Options
linda231
linda231 Posts: 12 Member
Please help me plan. Im needing some good healthy low carbs. Good fats and healthy protein. snacks, meals and quick go to's.
any help appreciated. Shopping list ideas. Thanks. Linda

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't bad. Rather than thinking about low carb, hit your protein and fat macros then happily fill the rest of your calories with carbs.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Carbs might be fine for you and some others here, but not for me and some other others!!!

The OP wanted help with low carb ideas not to be told not to do low carb!

OP my diary is open, I eat low carb all the time- I aim for 20% carbs in my macros each day. I don't always achieve it but I try to work at it, it's not a chore but it helps me be more mindful of carbs.

I make a lot of dishes minus the bulk. E.g. Bolognese without the spaghetti, curry without the rice or naan bread, the fillings for tortillas, but not the wraps, fish without chips. Chicken chasseur or stew without the potatoes, gluten free fish pie with sweet potato topping. I eat little dairy but about four eggs every day. Breakfast is usually omelette with grilled salmon and broccoli or avocado followed by 25g nuts an hour later, then I'll eat my prepared meals.

Makes going out quite easy too, just don't eat the bulky stuff on the plate!
    Hope that helps
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Carbs might be fine for you and some others here, but not for me and some other others!!!

The OP wanted help with low carb ideas not to be told not to do low carb!

If rather share valid information than tell people what they want to hear.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    I think it depends on where OP is in terms of body fat, and goals. I am at a very low bf%, so for me the only way to lean out is to cut carbs to around >30 grams/day. Go to meals for me:
    Breakfast: omelette or eggs
    Snack: small serving of greek yogurt
    Lunch: Salad with chicken
    Snack: small apple or piece of fruit (basically maxed out on carbs here)
    Dinner: Big serving of grilled chicken or any other lean meat and endless veggies

If I need a snack or something, I usually go for greek yogurt or a protein shake. High protein, low carb diet works best for me.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    The really good low carbs are pasta and bread in low quantites.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Good carbs advice for free on this website www.dietdoctor.com, it's about real food, no gimmicks, no powders, no pills, etc.

I eat carbs in low quantities, to stay in ketosis, and the ones I consider good are:

1) vegetables that grow above ground (lettuce, celery, kale, asparagus, spinach, snap peas, green beans, collard greens, Swiss chard, endive, escarole, rapini, artichoke, broccoli, cauliflower, kohlrabi, cabbage, chicory, egg plant, tomatoes, bell pepper)
    2) onions, garlic, leeks
    3) low sugar fruits like raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries
    4) fresh herbs, like parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, etc
    5) nuts, like macadamia, Brazil, almonds, walnuts. Careful with these because some people can get carried away and eat an entire 1 lb bag in a sitting, and some nuts have high carbs (cashews) while others very low (macadamia)

Some people can eat more carbs than me and get away with it (unlucky for me), so they can consume legumes, like chickpeas, lentils, kidney beans. Also they can consume grains, like cracked wheat and cracked oats, as well as whole grain rice and high sugar fruits.

I think the idea is to consume the least processed possible, as in what it resembles like in nature, and go for high quantity and as wide a spectrum of micronutrient content possible. Also, set a carb limit and test it out, move it up or down to see its effect, and see what works for YOU.

Good luck.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It's not about carbs being "bad". OP you should post this in a keto forum or Primal/Paleo support group.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Avocado, nuts, cheese (sticks, cottage, slices), berries (raspberries, strawberries, etc), greek yogurt, eggs, meat.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I generally eat what is considered very low carb. I only eat (95% of the time) grains and starches immediately before or after a workout. My diary is open, usually end up under 30% carbs on a non-practice day.

Family favorites:
    Omlettes
    Quiches (no crust)
    Spaghetti squash pasta
    Meat on salad (like sirloin salad with walnuts, blue cheese, tomatoes, etc)
    Taco salad
    Pulled meat
    Grilled Meat and veggies
  • BaoCat
    BaoCat Posts: 42
    Options
    google "low carb friends". There's a good deal of chat and recipes on those boards.

I for one don't think carbs are bad... but everyones individual mileage on that statement may vary. For me personally, I've had to acknowledge I lose weight easier when keeping my carbs low (and honestly, I just feel better.)

For veggies, think 'leaves, stems and flowers, fruits, then roots' roughly for low carb. For cheeses, I like any single serve 0 carb cheese. Baybel and Tillamoo are both usually in the fridge at work. Celery sticks and snow peas in ice water. Cucumber slices. Hard boiled eggs. Pepperoni and almonds in the desk. If in doubt, make it into a salad. I even dump chili on salad greens now.

For OMG I need something sweet, I keep some Atkins Peanut Caramel Cluster bars in the desk. They're very peanuty, not too bad on the sugar alcohols, and when everyone else is chomping birthday cake or afternoon coffee treats, I can have one if the urge hits me.

Since I've cut high carb breads out, I've been playing with 'flax seed mug cakes'. Which has been tremendously fun (when a failure happens, hey, it's only the volume of a mug and took a few minutes to whip up AND cook. Try try again!) My favorite right now is to add seasoning (like pumpkin pie spice) and sweetner to it (sometimes SF Torani syrup, or splenda, or whatever else I feel like) , then eat it out of the bowl warm with low carb milk (soy/coconut/flax, whatever I have in the fridge that day) poured over it. It hits the spot somewhere between 'warm oatmeal' and 'bread pudding' depending on how you flavored it.

Kroger also has a low carb yogurt that isn't bad (carbmaster.) Really like their pumpkin pie spice one. Vanilla coconut almond unsweetened milk is low in carb and calories - makes a good base for a protein shake. So does soyslender flavored milks - the cappuchino one is soooooo good (those have splenda though.)
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Shopping List
    EGGS
    EGGS
    EGGS
    EGGS!!! So cheap and versatile. You can do a LOT with eggs.
    Cheese
    Milk
    yogurt (just look out for high carb content from added sugars)
    Chicken breast
    Frozen fish fillets (a lot cheaper than fresh)
    Ricotta cheese can be used for a low carb cheesecake-esque dessert. You can probably google the recipe.
    Frozen berries for smoothies and such. They have a ton of fiber usually.
    Fruits and veggies, of course.
    Keep some dry roasted, unsalted nuts on hand.
    Peanut butter.
    Missions's Carb-Smart Tortilla's. They have a ton of fiber in them. A bit chewy, but I think they taste awesome.