Not hungry

Options
It seems counter-intuitive to eat simply for the sake of reaching a calorie level. Since I have started logging calories on here I have realized how much lower my intake is than the amount of calories recommended. The thing is that it seems like a healthier approach to eat in response to hunger cues and to eat healthy, unprocessed foods rather than to continue to eat to meet a calorie requirement.

Over the past year I have lost about 25 pounds without having that as a goal. It's been my intention to become healthier and to improve my fitness, both of which are happening. So my question is do I add in food simply because I'm not reaching an adequate level of calories or do I keep eating according to hunger? I also don't want to gain weight back, I'm enjoying my lighter, leaner new body.

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    If you aren't able to hit all your recommended nutrients (vitamins, minerals, fiber, protein), then, yes, you need to be eating more. I look at the nutrient totals every evening to make sure that I'm at 100% in Vitamin A and C, iron and calcium and that I have adequate fat, protein, and fiber. I'm in this for the long haul and to lead a long and healthy life.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I haven't been hungry this week and haven't eaten extra just to hit my goals. I have, however, had a big glass of milk so I wouldn't be like 700 calories under. Last week I was VERY hungry and hit my goals every day.

Being sensible seems . . . sensible.
  • MauxFaux
    Options
    I've been eating this way since September and was unaware of calories until the last couple of weeks. I know I'm eating according to hunger cues because for 2 and a half months I just ate when I was hungry and stopped when I was full without over thinking it. So until I started logging things in I wasn't concerned at all.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    you dont need to eat more quantity if you don't feel like eating more, you can just eat more calorie dense foods.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    depends actually:

If your goal is 2000 cals and at 1600 you are full then yeah, stop and bank the calories for the weekend or something or see whether you feel hungrier the next day.

If your goal is 1200 and at 600 you can't possibly eat another bite then you need to eat differently (600 cals of low fat yoghurt and carrots can apparently fill you up)

the other issue is frequently people log incorrectly and when they say they are stuffed at a 1000 cals and exercising like mad and nothing is working and they just can't eat more, in reality they are either not logging everything they eat or don't weigh their food or use the wrong values for their food, so they are eating more then they think.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    This a great question. I log when I feel under. Sometimes I had to eat more than I felt was necessary at the time. The next day I was glad I did. I get shaky and feel weak the day after under eating. For myself, I had to mentally unwind from losing weight to maintaining. Seeing a new low weight was becoming addictive and could have turned into a eating disorder. It is now my goal to maintain for a year.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    depends actually:

If your goal is 2000 cals and at 1600 you are full then yeah, stop and bank the calories for the weekend or something or see whether you feel hungrier the next day.

If your goal is 1200 and at 600 you can't possibly eat another bite then you need to eat differently (600 cals of low fat yoghurt and carrots can apparently fill you up)

the other issue is frequently people log incorrectly and when they say they are stuffed at a 1000 cals and exercising like mad and nothing is working and they just can't eat more, in reality they are either not logging everything they eat or don't weigh their food or use the wrong values for their food, so they are eating more then they think.

Pretty much this. I tend to listen to my body as I'm trying to learn to maintain without tracking every single calorie. I find after a lower calorie day I'm hungrier on another day so it works out fine in the end.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I hadn't thought about it, but yes 'it depends' nails it. My maintenance only nets 1450, so if I'm under by 700 calories net (and I have been some days this weeks), I'm REALLY under. Which is why I will eat something nutritious and calorie dense so I don't crash sometime later.