10k training

If I am used to running 5ks with little to no training, is it possible that I could be ready to complete a 10k by Jan 6 WITH training runs? By complete, I mean, jog it the entire way and finish in about an hour. Other runners? Thoughts?

Or is that unrealistic?

Replies

• Alanhalil
    Alanhalil Posts: 62 Member
    If you're used to 5km then 10 is no problem. Kind of depends on what your 5km time is whether you'd do it in under an hour though.
  • drgardnerva01
    drgardnerva01 Posts: 19 Member
    Shouldn't be too hard, if you're not having a problem at 5K. What's your 5K speed? Anything special or challenging about the 10K course?
  • persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    Looks flat. My 5k time is about 29 minutes, on average.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Yes! I usually run 5K's as well and at my last one, I unintentionally ran it twice (both at 29 minutes each) and I surprised myself. I ran it with a friend, at the finish line I realized my daughter never ran into her friend, so I ran it again with her. Running is mostly mental, so tell yourself you can run more each week and you will be there before you know it!!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Yes.
  • 9thChakra
    9thChakra Posts: 141 Member
    I loved the walk to run program I got from The Beginning Runner's Handbook. It's a 13 week program...but you could always jump in where you are at. You may want to considering seeing if your local library has it so you could take a look and decide whether or not it suits you.

Best to you!

P.S. The first 10K I ever did was thanks to following that program and I completed it in under and hour.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Shouldn't be a problem.
    try going out for a run, and split the difference at 7K should be able to do that.

This jump in on one of the hall higgens 10k programs. you will have to count backwards from the race, staring in the middle someplace.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Wtf wrong thread, what??