Please share your number one strategy for maintaining

Options

Replies

• NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Figure out your maintenance TDEE and eat at that level. Weigh your foods accurately as much as possible, and track everything you eat so you know you're within budget. And keep your body moving!
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining since may, it took me a while to get my head around the fact i wasn't effectively dieting as such anymore and could eat at my tdee i was afraid of gains but it hasn't happened my body seems to have found its balance.

Knowing your tdee is important.

Usually while loosing you'll have a good idea where you are with tdee anyways as you will reducing it (-10,20) depending on how much you want to loose, i kind of reworked my tdee with weight loss goals monthly until I got to the weight I desired, now i'm monitoring it but i haven't gone up or down drastically since may. Knowing your tdee is key, from there whole nutritious foods where possible to fuel your body and don't be afraid to enjoy treats in moderation -for me dieting thought me to practise moderation and its really helped me in maintenance.
    Guess my number one strategy was just listening to my body, knowing when i'm hungry and when I don't really need something, in saying that I have times where i'm not afraid to break out (at the weekend) but it all balances out, i naturally seem to eat less during the week anyways.
    Best of luck! :)
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Get off the scale and go by your clothes instead. YOU WILL KNOW if you are gaining weight. Pay attention to your hunger cues. Exercise most days of the week.
  • Craftimoose
    Options
    A couple years back I lost 150lbs. Now I gained about 20-30 of that back not long after (long story), but for the most part, I've been maintaining since 2011. It has taken a bit of tweaking and relearning. This is what I've found: Maintenance is forever. I will always need to cognizant of what I eat or I will very quickly gain (my metabolism isn't the best). When I keep track of what I eat....I understand the fluxes of my weight and how my body reacts to certain things much better. I've also learned that when I exercise, I have a bit more wiggle room in the food department and that is key for me because I really do enjoy eating. I don't have to be training for the next big race, but I have to make time to get at least 1/2 hour of SOMETHING in 3-4 times a week minimum.

What helped me was talking to a coworker of mine that had dropped 60 pounds. He reminded me that during the transition from weight loss to maintenance, it is pretty common to gain some back while you are figuring the ins and outs of what you can/can't do...but the main thing is to not give up and work with yourself to learn what works for you and what doesn't. For example, if I don't work out first thing in the morning, I know I will talk myself out of it by the time I get off of work at 5pm. I also know that I absolutely adore popcorn, so I can only have it in a social setting with a spotter or I'll eat the whole thing without blinking...no matter what size. Also - sugar free jello really really helps on those nights when I want something sweet and can't stop thinking about it. I always keep some on hand just in case.
  • afronigga6
    Options
    Logging. Everything. Accurately.

And choosing food you like eating.

I think that sums everything. Yeah, it's THAT simple. I now go through nutritional information on various items before putting them in my cart now, just because I have a better understanding as to what part calories play in fat gaining AND muscle gaining.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    a complete lifestyle change to one that is centered around health and nutrition and being active , rather than sloth and gluttony.
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    Know what a portion is & eat foods you like.
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options

Knowing your tdee is important.

and this
  • Gregg8322
    Gregg8322 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Congrats. My method is staying busy to keep my mind off eating and drinking lots and drinking water whenever I feel the urge to snack or overeat
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I agree with excercising regularly...that is the one thing that I would always let drop in the past...I would continue to eat right, but let one thing or another come between me and the gym and the next thing you know BAM - 20 pounds gained in no time.
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I like this idea. I have been trying to decide what to do. I had back surgery last year. I got the cardio down but need to do the strength part.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I think each person is different, I only had 15 pounds to loose and I lost 20 pounds before I new it. I couldn't stop after I got started, so I have to make sure I eat enough calories and protein. The more I exercise the more I have to eat.
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your amazing insight and feedback...I feel much better equipped for the next part of the journey!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Weigh daily to be sure I keep within a 3 lb. range and if it begins to creep up, get things under control immediately. I also am more relaxed since I know, this time, I'm keeping track and not letting my weight balloon again. I also generally track my meals most days, although I'm not as concerned because I generally know now what works for me.
  • cartow
    cartow Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday and trim my eating and increase my exercise anytime my weight is more than 3 pounds above my target. This doesn't happen very often but when it does it usually only takes a few days to bring it back into range.

It's much easier to lose 2 pounds than 20.

That's a great idea--I'm going to use it (when I get there).
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    You have to want to do the work of keeping your weight off and it is work. It is not easy for me, I love to eat, especially these holidays, cold weather, stressful situations, copeing with food rather than working out solutions.

I have been maintaining since July and it does not come second nature for me, wish I could be more positive but realistically it is hard work and you have to be willing to be cautious, log and be cautious again. The results are worth it, fitting in your clothes and also working out solutions to problems rather than eating has been empowering. Truthfully I would love to just be a couch potato and order pizza and junk everynight! but the consequences, ouch! (look like hell and the health problems so I do the work)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    1. Consistently (on average) eat at maintenance calories. (To do this, consistently and accurately log.)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Don't let a tough life situation get in your way, like an injury or surgery. I was sick this time last year and couldn't exercise, then I had brain surgery in February. I stuck carefully to my calorie goals and was able to maintain my loss even having taken 7 months off from exercise.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Remember that there's nothing special about most people's bodies when it comes to weight, yours included likelier than not. Most of the US has a weight problem to some extent nowadays and to buck that trend is a form of rebellion.

Figure out what you would rather not do like everyone else and act on it.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    1. I weigh myself daily and log the weight.
    2. I exercise daily.
    3. I log what I eat.