One week in, lost 2 lbs. :)

Options
First, it's actually 2.5, but the site rounds for you...ha! Anyway, I'm going to try the "talking to others helps" theory this time. Quickly, I've been "on a diet" since I was in....um, 8th grade. Jesus, that sounds sad. Anyway, I'm now 41 and like I'm guessing most people here, it's something I've never been able to conquer. I'm a "big" girl, but not so big that people wonder how I walk down the street. My goal is to lose 50-60 lbs.

I KNOW that there's an emotional piece here that I've never dealt with and to that end, will hopefully start therapy in the next couple of weeks. How do I know this? Because in the past as SOON as somebody says, "Wow. You look great. Have you lost weight?" I immediately go eat something and usually gain and extra 5 lbs from my starting weight. That's not messed up at all :)

I'm a business owner that is pretty busy and confident-- except personally. This has effected relationships, hence, why I'm single. At this stage, I'm a member of the "I don't want to be a part of a club that wants me." In other words, if a guy was interested in me at this weight, I would think there was something wrong with him.

Alrighty, I hope to connect with some people on here....I generally shy away from "organized" things: getting together to walk, weight loss meetings, big huge festivals, etc. That is not to say I don't go out...I'm very social. In fact, have to work out now because I'm going out with friends for the rest of the day. But I'm hoping the format of this online thing will be the right fit for me!

And, yes, I will be talking to the therapist about all the crazy crap above :)

Have a great Sunday!

B
p.s. OH! One thing I thought about today: you know how time FLIES as you get older? Well, I realized today that if my goal is 8-10 lbs a month (that's only 2 lbs/week) and I want to lose 50 lbs, that those 5 months will happen really fast! Oh, the beauty of delusion :) Ok, off to the treadmill!

Replies

• LoriNorris
    Options
    OMG - my long lost twin - only difference I'm married ......... for the 3rd time - I've been rack thin but that required montrous procedures and horrendous health risks so ie; starvation, otc appetite suppression, laxatives you name it and eventually I emotionally start eating because I "give up" and go back to stuffing myself in the closet. Trying to take a different route and get my (*&)**)(()* together this time. Maybe therapy is the answer - I've never talked myself into yet but something has got to give and this time it's going to be different. Maybe we should stay in touch on the journey;)
  • ablairsmith
    Options
    haha AWESOME! And I have 4 dogs, so we also have that craziness in common :) Actually, my business is dog-oriented, but still. Four is TOO MANY!

I was married (VERY briefly) in my 20s which totally turned me off to the idea. Now, however, I think it would at least be nice to have someone to hang out with....when I feel like it. I've pretty selfish with my time :)

Would love to have someone to chat with on this journey, thanks for writing back....

p.s. I live in Texas so it's freaking HOT outside. I'm on my treadmill and have a computer rack that let's me do this while walking. It's nice, but I realize that if I can type, I'm probably not walking fast enough. In any case, please excuse my typos :)
  • KateLoughnane
    KateLoughnane Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh how I needed to read that someone feels the same way I do. I am a 29 year old single mom who works 60+ hours a week. I spend my "free time" raising my son. Thank goodness he has a great dad! I rarely make time for myself. I eat and eat and eat to relieve stress, anxiety, sadness and exhaustion. Yes, the emotional aspect is the hardest part to overcome!
  • ablairsmith
    Options
    Hi there....yeah, the other day I got a couple of stressful calls while in my car, walked into the gas station and immediately thought: "I want some chips". Thankfully, I "caught the thought" before I acted on it, but it was really shocking to see/feel it in action. Oh, yeah, carbs (chips in particular) are my go-to "stress reliever" :)

Random thought: has anyone else noticed the banner ad for "Lap Band Procedure" up at the top of this page? I understand the need for them to make money somehow from this site, just wish they were a *bit* more thoughtful on who they sold to....just sayin'

And lastly for today, I just saw that it says, "member since January 2010"....well, that's when I got my iphone and tried it the app for a week or so....so I don't count that :)