How much is gain? How much is retain?

Options
So I started lifting last week and I know that when you start you retain water for muscle repair. But would it really be 5npounds worth? And will it eventually go away? Or is it going to stay forever? I've been under my calories and I lifted 3 days last week and did cardio 3 days.
Am I on the right path? I wanted to start lifting because I saw all the great results other women have gotten but to see a huge gain like that in 7 days kinda discourages me.
I did take measurements before I started but those haven't changed. So that makes me feel a bit better, but that number on the scale makes me want to cry cause I haven't seen that big of a number in over a year.

Replies

• Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    5 lbs is equal to 2.3 liters of water (or about .6 US gallons). Water accounts for 50-70% of your body's total weight. Remember, it's heavy.

It's also, going by convention, about 17,500 calories worth of overeating, which I feel like you would have noticed.

If you've been under your calories, AND have been lifting, AND have been doing cardio - you're probably retaining some water for muscle repair. Relax, and weigh either more or less often, whichever is more likely to ease your mind.