The Adonis Abs-How do I get them?

Options
I work out every night. I include sit ups and crunches which I do until I can do no more. Current count is at sixty. I'm seeing some definition and since I've lost all of this fat, I'm seeing a heck of a lot more definition.

However, I'm not seeing mine shaping up into the "Batman" abs where they are seriously defined.

Any pointers? Do I just have to wait until I can get over a hundred per day before this will start happening?

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I have an odd feeling that I would be able to see them, but you can't because of body memory. I would make the bet that you look better than you think. Great job on the workouts! Just because you have it, don't let off!
  • NightKeepr
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Do you lift?
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Those kind of abs are genetic. Some people just smooth muscle on the abdominal wall, others have a lot of definition. If you don't have a lot of definition naturally, you are going to have to add weight to your ab exercises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoQRAmqHUZQ
  • trishfitllc
    trishfitllc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    once you lean out enough to see them, they are a muscle like any other, to get growth you need hypertrophy….meaning training hard and heavy, going to failure and then giving them rest like a separate muscle group such as arms :-) the guys with batman abs use heavy weight to train abs,,,body weight crunches never grew poppin abs…..using med balls to crunch or reverse crunch, cable rope crunches with weight, kettle bell get ups, weighted side bends, plate revolvers around your head, barbell bench press "hold" while lying on a bench then sitting upright from the waist, and keeping the bar overhead….just a few ideas…….train em a couple times a week like this on an ancillary split day like arms or delta when you aren't using them or your biggest movers like back or legs….
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Crunches will do nothing in the way of ab definition. The only thing that reveals abdominal muscles is to reduce body fat percentage. You do that by eating at a calorie deficit to chip away at the fat covering the muscles.

Ever heard that "abs are made in the kitchen"? It's totally true.

ETA: and what she said^^^, to build the abdominal muscles up
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Your ticket indicates that you are at goal weight. What would you estimate your current body fat percentage to be?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Do you have a recent picture? If the progress one in your gallery is recent, you are going to have to cut more body fat to have a chance of seeing it. When you get down to a lower BF%, genetics plays a part as well as muscle development, as to the extent you will get the 'adonis belt'.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you need to find a better, more effective workout. Heavy lifting, compound moves. There are lots of great programs to get you started that people on here can advise you about. You may be expending a lot of energy, but not being as effective and efficient as you could be. Using your muscles to their full potential can do wonders for you.

Also looking at your pics, you will need to lose some more body fat to see abs.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    once you lean out enough to see them, they are a muscle like any other, to get growth you need hypertrophy….meaning training hard and heavy, going to failure and then giving them rest like a separate muscle group such as arms :-) the guys with batman abs use heavy weight to train abs,,,body weight crunches never grew poppin abs…..using med balls to crunch or reverse crunch, cable rope crunches with weight, kettle bell get ups, weighted side bends, plate revolvers around your head, barbell bench press "hold" while lying on a bench then sitting upright from the waist, and keeping the bar overhead….just a few ideas…….train em a couple times a week like this on an ancillary split day like arms or delta when you aren't using them or your biggest movers like back or legs….

I'm going to say that I've heard ^^ this from others whose abs "pop". Gotta work them weighted. Hang a weight from your feet and lift from hanging.

EDIT: Did not look at pics prior to posting. Assumed a lean weight to begin with. Yeah I agree you will need to get leaner to see abs.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Defined abs have more to do with cutting body fat than any particularbkind of exercise. Also, everyone is shaped slightly differently so your abs, though you may be quite cut, may never look exactly like someone else's.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned you'll need to lose body fat first. Once your down below 10% bodyfat, you will be able to see the muscle. From there you can focus on building that muscle up. It will be necessary to "lift heavy" with the abs (weighted cruches, weighted reverse crunches and weighted twists). Keep the reps relatively low (10 - 15) and give your abs 48 hours to recover from each workout.
  • NightKeepr
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll have to go get a medicine ball or something. Budget won't let me get a gym membership, but I think I can afford a medicine ball lol.

The progress pic was nearly a month ago. I've not gotten around to making another one yet. The BMI thing on here says I'm at 26.5%. The slider was originally based on a weight of 175, but I've since reset my goal to 165. However, the slider just won't reset.

Thanks again for your help.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Overhead press and calorie deficit
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll have to go get a medicine ball or something. Budget won't let me get a gym membership, but I think I can afford a medicine ball lol.

The progress pic was nearly a month ago. I've not gotten around to making another one yet. The BMI thing on here says I'm at 26.5%. The slider was originally based on a weight of 175, but I've since reset my goal to 165. However, the slider just won't reset.

BMI is not %BF. There is a big difference.

As far as abs go, the first and foremost is getting your body fat low enough that you can see them. The second thing - which has already been said - if you want the big ab muscles, you train them just like any other muscle you want big - with resistance training.

Your current training is akin to walking for leg muscles. You will never get big leg muscles by walking. You want big leg muscles, then do squats, lunges, stairs, etc. You can to resistance training for abs using body weight. Hanging leg lifts are brutal! Incline leg lifts work too. There are several bodyweight exercises for abs.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

As far as abs go, the first and foremost is getting your body fat low enough that you can see them. The second thing - which has already been said - if you want the big ab muscles, you train them just like any other muscle you want big - with resistance training.

Your current training is akin to walking for leg muscles. You will never get big leg muscles by walking. You want big leg muscles, then do squats, lunges, stairs, etc. You can to resistance training for abs using body weight. Hanging leg lifts are brutal! Incline leg lifts work too. There are several bodyweight exercises for abs.

x2
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

x2

I shall cosign this as well. x3
  • nimprotein
    Options
    You could check out The Adonis Golden Ratio it sounds like it does what you are after.

If you try it let me know how it goes. I plan to try it later when I have more time to dedicate to it.

Good luck getting Batman abs lol :D