Confused, nervous, and in need of advice.

Options
Ok so I started my journey again a month ago on another site. I logged 1600 cal a day and have lost 10 pounds total in a little over a month. Now on here it says to eat 1200. I would say I'm sedentary, going back to college in spring, light exercise for the moment. I'm also hearing I should eat my TDEE. I've researched it but it seems very high. I did ok eating 1600 but not so much with 1200. Should I keep at 1600 like I've been doing, persevere and do 1200 or my TDEE? My stats are 5 ft 3, 32 years old, and 246 lbs. Any advice would help, especially an accurate BMR and TDEE. Thanks.

Replies

• britteliz1
    britteliz1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What are your settings re: how many pounds you want to lose in a week? If you have it set to 2, maybe bump it to a pound?
  • kimpoe81
    Options
    When I bump to a pound its like 1740 I think. Which is still higher than I've been, but not too much.
  • kimpoe81
    Options
    Is 2 pounds a week unrealistic?
  • sdbeachbum
    sdbeachbum Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    10 lbs in a month is great so far! If that's working (which it sounds like it obviously is) I would stick with that. If you try to go lower, you'll end up beating yourself up over the inevitable slip up over 1200. Be consistent at 1600, you'll get there :)
  • missraven325
    missraven325 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would say to stick with what is working for you already. If you're at 1600 and still losing, I don't see a need to go lower. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)
  • missraven325
    missraven325 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Also, what does it say if you bump it down to 1.5 per week? If that gives you closer to your 1600 calorie goal, I would go with that, just to make it easier for you to track. I dont think 2 lbs per week is unreasonable, I think that's the maximum recommened amount to lose per week and still be healthy. Just keep in mind that the slower you lose the weight, the more likely you are to keep it off long term. :)
  • kimpoe81
    Options
    Well thanks guys, I'll stick with 1600 since it has been working. Im just hoping the 10 pound loss isn't a fluke, lol.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    The slower the cut, the better results you will have. When I cut down in the spring I only lost around 5lbs in 3 months and looked great. Lifting while dropping weight is also a huge advantage. Also I wouldn't trust the mfp calculations, use another site and do the custom option while setting your goals.

Edit: Exercise Physiology major, powerlifter, and aspiring natural bodybuiler