Never been held accountable......Until Now!

Hi All.
I signed up to this website about 2 years ago and just went "oh that's nice" and let it go.
I've always been sick of the post baby belly (daughter is now 9yrs old) but never really commited to doing anything about it.

I decided! I'm going to do it!
So much so, that I signed up for my first half marathon (21kms or 13.1miles) in Feb and have 11 weeks to kick my *kitten* into shape. (I am a shape now, but round is not the one I want to stay).

So tonight I went for a run. In the last year I've lost about 10kg, so running isn't impossible for me, but motivation is.
Enter 10 year old nephew and his bike!

He asks me constantly if we are going for a run and when, and then talks to me on the way saying I can go faster etc.

So here I am. Pretty much Day One and I'm running like a turtle through peanut butter - but i'm running.
Motivation tool #2 - checking in here a couple of times a week.

Wish me luck.

Replies

• DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    This site worked for me. I have never had anything to hold me accountable and i credit MFP for this. I am not sure why, but when my son told me about this site I signed up and suddenly upon entering what i ate that first day - put me in shock. I immediately changed my eating habits - i was way over eating "healthy" food before. Just too much!
    I have been on for 7 months and essentially have reached my goal but now - want just a few more pounds off for a cushion.

So - stick with it - log everything. Weigh a lot of things or measure. Exercise...that also was a big factor for me.
    You can do it - just stay focused! Good luck..........
  • I like your attitude :p
  • kiwi_abbey
    kiwi_abbey Posts: 13 Member
    Thanks for the replies. Now someone has read this......it's kind of a bit more real in a way.
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    hi there feel free to add me...it's great being accountable and MFP is pretty good for that. Just keep logging your food so you can keep track - exercise is great, but it's more about what goes IN YOUR MOUTH than anything else.
    Good luck.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    I appauld your goals and think it is great that you are finally motivated and on track to get yourself active and healthy. However, I would not want anyone to get hurt, or discouraged. Depending on much you have run in the past; 11 weeks to train for a half marathon is asking for trouble. You will run the risk of over training and hurting yourself. I have been running for years and I usually give myself 12 weeks to spin up far a half marathon if I have not been run anything longer than 8 miles on a regular basis. Just saying you may want ot make that first race a 10K. Then use that 10k as a catalyst to up your training for the half marathon sometime in the spring.

Good luck!
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    I love the story about your nephew and his bike! That should help you get out the door and what a great way to have a memorable relationship with him.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Gosh, as much as I want to be supportive, that is in no way enough time to train for a marathon. It takes months to get back into shape cardiovascularly, joint wise, etc. You should have been regularly running for 20 miles per week before you tackle marathon training. And even then, it takes 3 months (I believe) to work up the distance.