HRM opinions wanted..........

Options
I'll get straight to the point.
I use a pulse sonic HRM with chest strap.
This is my 2nd HRM. My 1st was a timex. (shorted out)
Anyhow heres the question.

I go on long walks. 2 1/2 - 3 hours. My HRM says I burned like 3075. Map my fitness says 1028 amd MFP said 800.

Which is accurate? Is my HRM off?
I entered all info honestly and to the best of my knowledge.

So which is righ?

HRM or apps?

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Technically, a HRM with a chest strap should be the most accurate. MFP doesn't know how much effort you put into your walks.

3075 does sound high, but it depends on your size and the effort involved; if you are very overweight, then I'd say it was possible. If I walk at 4mph, which is pretty fast, my HRM says I burn just under 2000 cals on a 3 hour walk, and I'm 5"10, 250lb.
  • cmsmj1
    cmsmj1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been using my HRM for 6 months - I use about 100 cals per 1km - running or walking.

I'm 12st8 - 5ft11

There is no way that you are using 3000 calories in a 3hr walk, unless you are walking 20 miles...
  • Rocky_ZG
    Rocky_ZG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There is no way that you are using 3000 calories in a 3hr walk, unless you are walking 20 miles...

Or if hiking...
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    That seems very high. I use a Polar FT4, which comes with the chest strap, and I love it. When I walk or jog, my calorie burn is very near what MFP estimates.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I've been using my HRM for 6 months - I use about 100 cals per 1km - running or walking.

I'm 12st8 - 5ft11

A 300 lb person walking at 5mph burns a little more than 1000 calories per hour. So it is not impossible.

OP - check your HRM weight setting, you've lost weight and it might be at the old setting. If not, it might be off a bit.
    Burns are weight dependent so you need to provide that info.
  • cmsmj1
    cmsmj1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I'm 12st8 - 5ft11

A 300 lb person walking at 5mph burns a little more than 1000 calories per hour. So it is not impossible.

OP - check your HRM weight setting, you've lost weight and it might be at the old setting. If not, it might be off a bit.
    Burns are weight dependent so you need to provide that info.

A 300lb person walking at 5mph for 3 hours - a rare event, with the greatest respect.

HRM is the way forwards and has helped me lose my 3st since March.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    There's not enough information to know really - what pace were you walking at, uphill, downill, flat, smooth terrain?

Sounds like your HRM is a bit buggered though. Try resetting it and re entering your data before you use it again.
  • BuManCuzBrah
    Options
    Sorry for the lack of info.
    CURRENT STATISTICS
    (as of November 2013)
    Weight - 278 lbs
    Height - 5' 7"
    Waist - 49 "
    BMI - 43.5% (+30 = obese)

I do an average of 3 miles daily 6 days a week.
    I move about 3 - 3.4 mph.
    More than not, im pushing my 2 kids in a double stroller (pic posted in my gallery) which weighs about 100lbs (60lb stroller + 20lb each kid = 100 lbs).
    I live on a hill overlooking pearl harbor & the aloha stadium (I can post a pic) so I do l lots of inclines.

Thats as much info I can think if right now.
    I did read that heavier people burn more calories than lighter ones.

Also sometimes MFP put my calories burned way higher than my HRM. But I always go with my HRM.

Thank you all for your responses
  • BuManCuzBrah
    Options
    K so I just had a visit with my dr. and I asked him if my HRM could be off. He looked my logs and says its bery much accurate. The only thing is I may be overdoing it. So my HRM is fine. But for the sake of piece of mind, im gonna reset it
  • yayamay
    yayamay Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I would totally trust heart rate monitor over anything else. Glad you talked to your doc. Good for you for all the effort you are putting in. Pushing two children up and down hills must be difficult! Keep it up!!! Good luck!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I go on long walks. 2 1/2 - 3 hours. My HRM says I burned like 3075. Map my fitness says 1028 amd MFP said 800.

Net calories burned walking = 0.3 * body weight in pounds * miles walked.

For example, a 200 pound person walking 6 miles would burn 400 extra calories.

Use the GPS on your smartphone to get your distance, and it's plug and play from there.