Sitting on my butt all day

13»

Replies

• SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    22 hours of the day completely still

Wait, what? OK, two hours of exercise a day (which sounds really good btw) leaves you 22. Minus 8 for sleep leaves you 14. Take 8 for work leaves you 6 hours of free time. Don't sit on your butt during that time if you don't want to. I'm not saying go run a marathon since your'e already very active but clean your house, do chores, go shopping, go out, do something standing up, etc etc etc.
  • piersonj
    piersonj Posts: 62 Member
    Does your company have an ergonomics person (sometimes out of HR). You may need a new desk chair or to have the one you are using adjusted. For me a new desk chair, changing where I had the key board and monitor placement on my desk made a huge difference in my day. Because I am on the short side, I even needed a foot stool under my desk to have the correct posture while sitting at the desk. Even little adjustments can make the difference between being in pain and an efficient work day.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Okay, but I'm not just talking about weight loss.

Yeah, I'm going to respectfully disagree with the "eat less" posts.
    The non exercise activity is a large part of our metabolism.

Do take those walking breaks, even park your car away from your work to get in 15 minute walks a day, work standing or schedule breaks to do something active during the day. It can make a huge difference.

Being active is more than just weight loss.

Have you actually read her post?

"I exercise intensively most days - either lifting heavy weights and doing plyometric training or in dance rehearsals." - An hour or two hours of intensive exercise

"I've tried so many things to help with this. Walking up all the escalators at the tube stations, taking a walk at lunchtime, stretching in my office a few times a day"

The OP is far from not active.

OP, as for your other problems, I don't know exactly what you mean by your hip 'snapping', but if it's a serious issue, visit your doctor. A desk job isn't going to cause that, plus you are 27, you're hardly an old lady! I have a desk job and it doesn't give me health problems.

Yes, I "actually" read her post. I saw that she was complaining about inactivity for 22 hours a day. Aside from planned exercise, NEAT is a major part of metabolic function and clearly implicated if the OP is feeling stiff from inactivity.

Spending hours at a desk, remaining inactive, is an unfortunate health risk or so would the various studies make us think that associate it with increased disease risk (causation and correlation aside). People that are more active, and specifically take breaks away from 6/8 hour sitting spells (Rosencranz Kansas State study - can't make that name up) are generally healthier.

I understand what you are saying, but my point is, the OP is doing all she can to increase activity. She has already said she gets up at 6:45am and is not home till 12am, she does 1 - 2 hours of moderate activity daily (including strength training), she goes for walks on her lunch break, she move as much as possible on her commute, she stretches during her working hours. There is no more time for additional exercise.

There is no doubt that people with a more active job are healthier, but without a career change, there's not much that can be done about that!

I am still convinced there is an underlying problem and/or that the OP is eating too much, Exercise is beneficial for health but not actually necessary for weight loss.

The OP states she's tried various things to increase her in office activity, I have no way of knowing if she does these consistently (she states she tries) or just every once in a while. Rather than assume, I'm underlining how important these may be. Even if she has an undiagnosed medical condition like fibro - it makes senses to continue to take planned breaks away from sitting.

Unlike you, I'm not convinced about anything here, the suggestion to see a doctor does seem valid, to identify the root cause of an injury. And while exercise is not needed of weight loss, NEAT actually has a much greater impact on weight loss than just exercise and the OP is complaining about inactivity. NEAT addresses both.
    The OP complained about 10 lbs gain in 6 months that's slightly less than 200 cals per day. One can eat less, exercise more or increase NEAT. Any of the three are valid or a combination of them. In a situation where someone complains of activity level if makes sense to increase it, if possible (without increasing exercise).
    Now the thing about eating less is that it actually decreases your NEAT, so whenever possible it makes sense to look at everyday lifestyle elements as part of the overall view of things and not just call out to "eat less".

Edit:You'll also notice that the OP has stated that she finds it very difficult to eat less. Why insist on that if this leads to binging for her?

:flowerforyou:

No-one will know how active the OP is apart from the OP. I can only base my answer on the details she has provided - which indicates there is no spare time for additional exercise, which is what you seem to be ignoring. You can throw around 'NEAT' as much as you like, but this still stands, therefore, the only other option is to reduce calorie intake.

The OP has said she struggles on a lower intake, but I did actually ask her to open her food diary, mainly because people often struggle because they are eating the wrong types of foods - especially when working at a desk, because you tend to pick rather than eat filling, high protein meals.

As it happens, the OP has now said she only weighs her food a couple of times a week and has 'reckless weekends'. Looks like it is a calorie intake problem after all - what a surprise.

OP, pre-plan meals, cook your lunches and dinners at the weekend for the following week if need be - the freezer is your friend. Weigh and measure everything - the fact you don't is why the weight has stuck.

NEAT is not additional exercise but your everyday activity. If you only want to focus on the calorie part, fine but the fact remains the weight gain is something one can manage with a variety of factors of which calorie intake is the most important but not the only (especially in cases where the gain is small over a long period) and the OP seems to be more concerned about inactivity and flexibility issues.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Check out a fabulous group here on mfp called "deskercisers" where those of us 'stuck in the office' (wherever that may be - I work at home but I'm still stuck) get up out of our chairs, periodically, and workout, and share our workout accomplishments throughout the day. It's quite fun!

Good luck OP!
  • Thanks everyone! There is already a short walk I do from the station to the office, but I may see how long the walk is from waterloo where I get off my mainline train to my place of work. It's two stops on the tube so maybe I could commit to walking 15-20 minutes of it in the morning and see how that goes. Although, it would mean I don't have to walk up any escalators (more intense than it sounds!) so I'm not sure if it would necessarily mean I get more exercise overall.
    I also have a 15 minute commute (walk) from my office to the dance studios, and about 10 minutes to the gym. Nevertheless, I think I will buy a diet journal that I had before - it seemed to help quite a bit in keeping me on track and encouraging me. :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member

Do take those walking breaks, even park your car away from your work to get in 15 minute walks a day, work standing or schedule breaks to do something active during the day. It can make a huge difference.

"I exercise intensively most days - either lifting heavy weights and doing plyometric training or in dance rehearsals." - An hour or two hours of intensive exercise

"I've tried so many things to help with this. Walking up all the escalators at the tube stations, taking a walk at lunchtime, stretching in my office a few times a day"

OP, as for your other problems, I don't know exactly what you mean by your hip 'snapping', but if it's a serious issue, visit your doctor. A desk job isn't going to cause that, plus you are 27, you're hardly an old lady! I have a desk job and it doesn't give me health problems.

Yes, I "actually" read her post. I saw that she was complaining about inactivity for 22 hours a day. Aside from planned exercise, NEAT is a major part of metabolic function and clearly implicated if the OP is feeling stiff from inactivity.

Spending hours at a desk, remaining inactive, is an unfortunate health risk or so would the various studies make us think that associate it with increased disease risk (causation and correlation aside). People that are more active, and specifically take breaks away from 6/8 hour sitting spells (Rosencranz Kansas State study - can't make that name up) are generally healthier.

I was waiting to read the work he did with Gildenstern but then I found out that Rosencranz and Gildenstern are dead.
  • 22 hours of the day completely still

Wait, what? OK, two hours of exercise a day (which sounds really good btw) leaves you 22. Minus 8 for sleep leaves you 14. Take 8 for work leaves you 6 hours of free time. Don't sit on your butt during that time if you don't want to. I'm not saying go run a marathon since your'e already very active but clean your house, do chores, go shopping, go out, do something standing up, etc etc etc.

I just figured out how to quote!

Okay, maybe I was being a bit dramatic with that. Here's my day today:

6.45: wake up.
    7:00: Get out of bed.
    7:10 Actually get out of bed.
    7:35: leave the house, walk 7 minutes to the station
    7:47: get on the train
    8:30: get off the train
    8:37 get on the tube
    8:57 get off the tube
    9:00 get my breakfast from starbucks, walk to work
    17:30 get done with work, walk to the gym
    17:45 one hour of plyometrics and weights
    7:00 Locking jam - trocadero
    8:30 Rehearsal until 10:30
    10:45 walk 10 mins to station, get on the tube x 2
    11:52 catch my mainline train to get home
    12:30 arrive home, shower, pack my stuff for the next morning
    1am: sleep.
  • EvgeniZyntx

I was waiting to read the work he did with Gildenstern but then I found out that Rosencranz and Gildenstern are dead.

So it would seem, but before their passing I do believe they did some seminal work on the direction of the wind, the technique of toe licking to discern it and such. Published too.
  • sjohnny

So it would seem, but before their passing I do believe they did some seminal work on the direction of the wind, the technique of toe licking to discern it and such. Published too.

But was it peer reviewed? I'll have to delve deeper.
  • EvgeniZyntx

Prince reviewed, and found wanting.
  • sjohnny

Prince reviewed, and found wanting.

Can't argue with that.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    I eat all of my meals out of the house except for a couple of times a week when I weigh and measure. The 10lb gain I'm sure is a result of a handful of reckless weekends. Usually though, it all evens out and I bounce back pretty quickly to what I was before. This time though, the weight has just stuck and refused to shift, and I think it's down to the lack of exercise. I'll see what happens over Christmas when I'm off and at the gym/outdoors a lot more. I'm hoping I can lose a few (I'm in pretty intensive training over the next 4/5 weeks for a dance competition) and then just maintain.
    However, the lack of movement during the day still worries me a lot. I'll take on board all of the advice and move as much as possible during the day. I also think yoga is a brilliant idea. Thanks everyone.

One thing that I do, is that I get up and walk around our large building. If I can't actually leave, I'll in my cubicle area. I have a lot of long conference calls, and I'll get up and walk around. I have a bluetooth headset that actually helps that, but... it can be a bit iffy when someone asks me a question and I have to race back to the mute button. :P I don't know if that's an option for you - but it helps me a lot. If not, just get up and stand and stretch every 1/2 hour or so.

I suffered a dislocated sacroilliac joint for 2 1/2 years (long story), where I COULDN'T be up and around much - so I know the stiffness and the soreness you're talking about. Believe me, getting up out of the chair for a bit every hour will help so much. I even have a crappy chair here at my work (and they refuse to give me a new one), and I still make it through the week.

Also, please make sure you are getting enough rest. You might not be recovering well from your other activities, thus impacting your sedentary time.