White Rice while losing Weight?

So white rice is a staple of my diet. I've heard allot of people saying white rice is bad for your diet and considered a carb. In my house my family only cooks white rice. I know brown rice has more nutrients and stuff, but talking about weight loss is it Fine to eat?

Replies

• rella_1003
    rella_1003 Posts: 70 Member
    I still eat white rice, being Asian we always have rice in our house often eat it 2 meals a day. I try to limit how often I eat the rice though and I try to fill my plate up with salads or veggies and only have a small portion of rice. As long as your not exceeding your net calories you should be fine.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    you can pretty much eat whatever you want as long as you stay in a calorie deficit…

there are no "bad" foods, just food…

calories in vs calories out; just make sure you stay in deficit and hit your macros for the day...
  • marleniap
    marleniap Posts: 120 Member
    you can pretty much eat whatever you want as long as you stay in a calorie deficit…

calories in vs calories out; just make sure you stay in deficit and hit your macros for the day...

^^ This^^
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    I also live on a largely Asian diet, as I spent 60% of my time in Asia for work and cook it 50% of the remaining time when at home. So yes you can as long as you eat it in moderation as opposed to bucketfuls. I also cut a lot of rice out at night and stick largely to rice for breakfast and lunch which leave me feeling like I need little for dinner.

There are fantastic varieties of red rice available now which are common in Asia also and so go better with Asian meals than brown rice, if you are looking for authenticity.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,170 Member
    to be honest brown rice isnt much better than white
    and white rice is not bad.
    i used to only eat brown rice but now ive switched back to while and noticed no change what so ever
    plus white tastes so much better
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Moderation is key, u can eat white rice- just don't eat a full plate full.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member

^^ This^^

+2

There are many myths out there because authors and publishers like to sell books. Any look around Asia will demonstrate that white rice doesn't make one fat. Carbs are not evil
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member

If its a staple in your diet and you feel like you need to lose weight by making some changes then isnt it obvious?

Like said above Its fine to eat. Try eating it a little less and adding more protein (im assuming your calories are over due to too much white rice and carb macro also). Good luck!
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    White rice is considered a carb as it is high in carbs.
    On days where I burning off a lot of calories, once I've added all of my fruit and vegetables to my food diary, I get most of the rest of my carbs for the day from rice.
    I used to use only brown rice, but I was getting too much fibre on days where I was eating a lot of brown rice and vegetables. White rice is pretty much the same as brown rice but with a lot less fibre.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Jasmine rice tastes MUCH better than white :wink:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member

^^ This^^

+2

There are many myths out there because authors and publishers like to sell books. Any look around Asia will demonstrate that white rice doesn't make one fat. Carbs are not evil

Yup. I tried to switch to brown rice but white is just better.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I think it's more a matter of what you pair with the rice. Chunks of chicken fried in batter and covered in sweet n' sour sauce seems to be the usual for people I know...so yep, not a good idea LOL

But seriously, yeah I have had no issues. It is not a staple for me really as I only have rice a couple times per month, but I've eaten it throughout the times I've lost weight.

I usually make brown rice with curries and such but sometimes just enjoy white rice, and when I go to Chipotle or Qdoba I always get the white rice w/ cilantro on my burrito bowl.