Running Shoes help please!!

Options
Problem: I was trying to do some alternating jogging on the treadmill this morning and I had to almost stop do to the pain in the shins. i do not get this pain wearing my Walmart sneakers when doing Cardio Kickboxing and or step class. But apparently I need better shoes for jogging/running.

Can anyone please recommend any shoes they have had good results with?

Replies

• ophedian
    ophedian Posts: 78
    Options
    Problem: I was trying to do some alternating jogging on the treadmill this morning and I had to almost stop do to the pain in the shins. i do not get this pain wearing my Walmart sneakers when doing Cardio Kickboxing and or step class. But apparently I need better shoes for jogging/running.

Can anyone please recommend any shoes they have had good results with?
  • nickipickle
    Options
    Hi:)

For running shoes you definitely should go get fitted properly. If you have an upscale running store in your area they should do fittings for free and tell you what kind of shoe you need. Then you can go to a cheaper sports store to actually purchase the shoes. It is very important to have the proper shoes for running, not only for your feet but for your knees, hips and spine as well. I can always tell if my shoes are starting to wear out because I get the shin pain. Running/jogging is high impact, even on a treadmill, and without the proper gear you can really injure yourself.

Some of the good brands for running shoes are New Balance, Saucony, Asics, Nike, Adidas etc...

Hope this helps! Good luck:)

nicki
  • buckeyebabe
    buckeyebabe Posts: 235
    Options
    Nicki is absolutely right here!! I have been running for over a year but I just recently went in (February) and got fitted by a licensed shop. After doing the treadmill and foot strike test (where they xray your feet while you run and see where and when you hit your foot...they look for pronation, etc.) then they will offer several brands for your type of stride. I went with the Asics GT - 2130. As soon as I started wearing them I noticed the difference. I no longer had shin splints, I was able to do a longer distance the first time out (by 1/2 a mile) and I had a faster pace. I truly believe there is some magic in finding out your proper shoe!!!

Good Luck!
  • boxergirl2008
    Options
    Running shoes are a big deal but so is stretching........make sure you are good and warmed up before you start jogging. Once you get good shoes, make sure your calves are loose and ready to work because they can cause shin pain.

Also, ICE...........the first 6 months I ran, I would come straight home and ice my shins and knees because they were not used to the pounding. Your ligaments and other muscles aren't use to taking the strain so you need to take lots of IB Profin and potassium...

The pain will subside but you will also get addicted to beiing sore because you know you did work. You will also start to notice you will get addicted to the great feeling you have after you just got done jogging.

Don't be afraid to run for 5mins, walk for 1 min........jog 5 walk 1..........it teaches your body to recoup in that one min and you can push harder during the 5 mins........
  • strongmom
    strongmom Posts: 72
    Options
    I really like www.roadrunnersports.com they have really helpful people you can call to help you figure out your arch, etc...
    I bought nice running shoes and no more back pain, hip pain etc...
  • ksukaro
    ksukaro Posts: 29
    Options
    I have heard from many people that Nike Shox help with their knees and shins
  • ophedian
    ophedian Posts: 78
    Options
    :happy: Thanks for the great information. I shall check out one of the local sports stores and see what I can find in the mentioned brands.

This is what I love about the site.. Instant free help. Now that is what I am talking about.
  • alimassa
    alimassa Posts: 275
    Options
    I have the Nike Air Pegasus and I love them.....they also have the Nike+ feature which is wonderful for keeping track of your work outs. The website is great too as you can join challenges and set goals. There is also a coaching feature that helps you reach your goals...running 10 mins or 10 miles....totally custom for you. Lord, I sound like a commercial!

Good luck to you!! :happy: Dont forget to stretch and get LOTS of water:drinker:

(oh..one more thing...my shoes were around $80...a lot less expensive them some of the $125 or more jobs)
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    at being at 310 lbs myself , doing excersises can be he** on the joints. You will probably wanna ask for a max cushioning shoe. New Balance and Nike make some awesome ones at around 80 bucks or less (Canadian Currency).
  • greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    Options
    I like my new balance zips....there really comfy to run in
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    You get what you pay for and I have found that it makes a big difference in how my feet feel. Asics are the shoe for me and once I put it on my foot, I wondered why I had waited so long to do so. They are like miracle shoes!!
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I really like my Asics Gel 2130 shoes. I got them at Rack-Room so they weren't full price. Still, I think I paid $60 for them. I'm about 200 lbs and I run 2 mi. 3x week.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I love New Balance.
    Try shoe shopping for running shoes when your feet are tired. It makes a big difference
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    Options
    Here's a good article on exercise you might find helpful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10974-new-to-exercise-things-to-think-about