Sore wrist after lifting

Options
Last couple of times I have had a weight lifting session I have had a very sore wrist post workout.

What would causing this and what is the best way to fix it so I can keep on lifting?

Having a non functional wrist really limits the exercises that I can do especially weighted squats and deadlifts so any suggestions/ideas/information would be gratefully recieved.

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What particular exercises are causing the pain? The only time I really have wrist issues is when I'm doing front squats (and that relates to a flexibility issue). Is there any swelling? Does the pain subside after the workout?
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    The questions that allanmissner asked.

I used to have problems after curling and chin ups. Could just be that you have to change your grip (going closer further apart) but I used a wrist strap for a couple of months while curling as it was seriously annoying me.

ETA: if it's a weakness thing and not an injury try strengthening your wrists/forearms with things like farmers walks and wrist curls
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    When you bench make sure the v formed by your thumb and palm is where you keep the bar, not on your palm.
    As nunu said, change grip position on things like curls and chinups.
    When you curl make sure you arent using your wrist to move the weight.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get this when I do barbell squats, OHP or bench press, I bend my wrists instead of keeping them straight. I really need to concentrate on the position of my wrists when holding the bar. Take note of your position if this is what causes you pain. I also have fibromyalgia and feel most of my pain in my wrists and neck so need to be very careful re position.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    First thing that came to mind was to make sure your wrist was straight through your movement. If you break your wrist forward or backward you are putting unnessary strain on the tendons.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you asked this! Great advice above!

I'm going to try the positioning thing on the bench press to see if that helps me, but I wanted to tell you what I did that helped.

I bought a pair of weight lifting gloves that have wrist support. They have a strap on them that wraps around the wrist to keep it stable. Based on what the above posters said, it probably helped, in part, by keeping my wrist in a better position. But it seemed to help me get better faster too. I love the gloves, but getting them off when my hands are sweaty sometimes feels like the hardest part (or at least the most frustrating part) of my workout.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Most likely you were not holding the bar/dumbbell quite right for a particular lift and tweaked your wrist. Either lay off it for a while (fat chance if you're into lifting, right?) or do what both 89nunu and AllanMisner have suggested. Adjusting your grip will help you in the long run (since you were probably gripping wrong) and the wrist strap will give you wrist strength right now so you can continue lifting.

Also, RICE if it helps
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RICE_(medicine)

...and maybe hydration and NSAIDs (Non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs).
    Having a non functional wrist really limits the exercises that I can do especially weighted squats and deadlifts so any suggestions/ideas/information would be gratefully received.

Squats - unhook your thumbs and brace the bar against your back so it won't roll down. Your pain is most likely from trying to support the bar at a weird angle. If you're a low-bar squatter this is pretty much critical to not messing up your wrists.

Deadlifts - Work on your grip with farmers walks and such. Don't use lifting gloves for deadlifts. They're sort of counterproductive to your deadlift grip believe it or not. If you have problems gripping the bar then try using a switch grip when it gets hard to pull (use regular grip when you can). If you're having pain when you deadlift you probably need to look at where you're gripping the bar in relation to having a straight line from your shoulders to the bar.
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all great advice folks. I suspect it was down to poor form today. I was trying to do chest presses on a balance ball and for my first set, I think I had the angle all wrong. Too many people in the area with benches and the squat rack, so I was improvising (badly it seems)

I already have gloves but they don't include strapping so I will add that to my gift idea list.

I definitely will try out doing weighted farmers walk to build up strength of my wrist. They are freakin tiny at the moment and I worry they won't be able to take the strain if I go for heavier lifts.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    If your wrists are sore after squatting you are way off. The bar should be wedged between you back and your palm. Your hand goes behind the bar, never under it.

Your wrist is the least if your worries in a bad squat like that, because you are transferring the load away from your posterior chain and onto your rib cage.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

I already have gloves but they don't include strapping so I will add that to my gift idea list.

Try not to rely on supports/straps only use them if really necessary as they will only be in the way of building up proper strength. And only use them for the lifts you get the pain from... better to try changing things before you resort to this really...
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all great advice folks. I suspect it was down to poor form today. I was trying to do chest presses on a balance ball and for my first set, I think I had the angle all wrong. Too many people in the area with benches and the squat rack, so I was improvising (badly it seems)

Learn what equipment is generally overpopulated and keep an eye on it throughout your workout. When the equipment is open, pounce. Cut a set short of you have to. You're probably right about the balance ball.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

I definitely will try out doing weighted farmers walk to build up strength of my wrist. They are freakin tiny at the moment and I worry they won't be able to take the strain if I go for heavier lifts.

It does sound like this is a form issue. However, if it is a strength issue, straps and gloves won't help (they'll just mask the problem). Focus on strengthening your grip (farmers walks as noted above) and wrist curls and reverse curls. Even if it is a strength issue, you'll probably benefit from working on form. Try different grips and angles as you press.

Enjoy!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I get wrist pain with a variety of activities (surgeries 10+ years ago) - including driving and push-ups, and there's lots of good advice above. I focus on form, building strength in my forearms and, believe it or not, de-stressing to minimize triggerpoints in the back and neck (and then massage to work them out- but as I do more yoga and pilates I need the massages less and less).

I don't wear gloves while working out, but if I know I'm going to do a lot of lifting, I wear wristbraces for those exercises. It makes a WORLD of difference.