Is chicken weighed when raw or cooked?

Options
2»

Replies

• thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused ..... I see everyone putting high calories in for chicken but if I put in 3 oz roasted chicken breast it comes to 138 calorie not the 300plus someone posted... What am I doing wrong ?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    raw unless it is otherwise specified....i.e. bacon will often say XX grams cooked...but most things are raw and/or dry weights and measures.

That said, I often weigh meats out after being cooked if I'm doing a roast or something...basically I try to be as precise as possible but it's not always going to be 100%.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm so confused ..... I see everyone putting high calories in for chicken but if I put in 3 oz roasted chicken breast it comes to 138 calorie not the 300plus someone posted... What am I doing wrong ?

They're probably having more than 3 oz of chicken. 3 oz of chicken is nothing...I could eat that in one swallow...I easily have double or triple that so my serving of chicken would be 300 calories plus. Often times the diary doesn't show how many servings the individual is having...it'll just say 3 oz or 4 oz or whatever....but behind the scenes they have input multiple servings to reflect the reality of their serving size.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I weigh it cooked.
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options

My final arbiter in such situations is the USDA database at http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

Their value is only 1 calorie away from yours at 139 calories for 84 g (3 oz) of "chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, roasted."
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options

They're probably having more than 3 oz of chicken. 3 oz of chicken is nothing...I could eat that in one swallow...I easily have double or triple that so my serving of chicken would be 300 calories plus. Often times the diary doesn't show how many servings the individual is having...it'll just say 3 oz or 4 oz or whatever....but behind the scenes they have input multiple servings to reflect the reality of their serving size.
    ^^^ This

The OP was talking about 300 grams of raw chicken, which is about 10 ounces. Cooked, I assumed it would probably weigh more like 8 oz, hence the higher number of calories.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm cooking some chicken, i weighed it and it was 300grams raw. Do i go by that i do i go by the cooked weight? Thanks
    In this context, you measure it raw.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If the entry says raw,weigh it raw - if it says cooked, weigh it cooked. You lose water while cooking so if you enter a raw item, then weigh it cooked (it'll be lighter) you'll be overeating.