1200 cal diet for some1 who wants to lose 1Kg /2 lbs a week

Options
hey everyone

I have been doing a lot of research on this topic and im REALLY confused.each and every time I read one of the posts regarding this issue,it confuses me further.I began using MFP about two weeks ago and I started eating only 1200 plus exercising and lost 3 kilos.I was on cloud nine.but in the 2nd week I didn't lose anything.thats what led me to do some research.thanks to the forums,I did all the math.I require 1350 calories a day,I exercise (25 mins of HIIT and 20 running) which is burns around 500 cals which,after careful research ,I decide to eat back.I reset my goal on MFP to lose a kilo per week and it set my net calories at 1200.im was beyond shocked.what the hell should I do now.should I stick to what I was doing (eating 1350 and exercising plus eating back the exercise cals ) or eat 1200 cals instead.I don't want the dreaded plateau or stalled weight loss.I want a consistent and long term approach to losing weight

P.s I want to lose 20 kilos/44 pounds

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You need to get some realistic expectations. losing 2 pounds a week is not realistic. Aim for .5-1 pounds.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    1 kilo a week is 2.2lbs..and too much to lose a week if you aren't trying to lose over 100lbs.

You didn't gain this weight in 20 weeks...don't expect to lose it that fast.

It has taken me a year to lose 45lbs.

Cut back to 1/2lb or .22kg a week and you will see a marked improvement in the amount you can eat.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Experiment. Use 1350 as your net for 4 weeks, if you're losing, keep it up, if not, try 1250 as your net. And by net, I mean what you eat on a Jon workout day, then eat. Back your exercise calories. I think you'd. Be fine to stick to 1350-1400 on non workout days as well, because chances are that's still below your sedentary maintenance.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight on 1200 calories then you are eating more than you think you are. Are you weighing all your food? Accurately logging?

500 calories seems a bit high for 45 minutes of HIIT and running. And by you eating 1350 calories + 500 exercise calories you're at about 1850 calories for the day -- assuming you aren't underestimating your intake. That's pretty close to maintenance for a lot of people.

If you aren't losing weight you are either overestimating burn or underestimating your intake.

I eat 1200 calories/day and do NOT eat back my exercise calories and lose 2 pounds/week and have done so consistently for the last 2.5 months.

If you aren't losing weight the answer is NOT eat more calories, quite the contrary.