Swimming

Options
2»

Replies

• Cathy_54321
    Cathy_54321 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy swimming. It's good aerobic exercise, and I feel I use and stretch many muscles without getting stiff or sore. For me, it does take some planning to get to a pool that is open hours I'm available and to pack along the needed towel/cap, etc. so it is a bit more involved and takes a little more time than heading out the door for a walk. I'm grateful I can swim (and do water aerobics) since my walking is limited.
  • Ernest_Nigma
    Ernest_Nigma Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The calorie burn from swimming doesn't depend on distance and time so much as it depends on your technique while swimming. An efficient swimmer could glide through the water quickly, with little effort, and for great distances, where a swimmer with poor technique is thrashing and struggling and becoming exhausted quickly.

Swimming is much more about form and technique than it is about strength. Beginning swimmers should really get some form of instruction, especially because their perception of what they are doing in the water can vary greatly from what a trained observer sees. The strength and endurance will come in time anyway but it's better to practice with their best form.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Swimming is wonderful. I started my journey four months ago with a changed diet and Slowly added in swimming. It was all I could do considering I have several physical problems. I’ve always loved to swim, feel very confident and relaxed in the pool. I swim very leisurely. In the past I’ve taken scuba and was a much more aggressive swimmer. At this point in my life I just love the way my body moves in the water. I know I’m getting a workout. As far as calories go,I’m happy with whatever calories I burn. I’ve started swimming and watching my diet I have lost 35 pounds and gained more energy. Swimming does not make me hungry like some people on here have said. A couple of people have commented on how much smaller my arms look than before. I’m sure it’s because of swimming.
    Today I did my first low impact aerobics class. I felt a bit sick during the class, had to leave briefly and came back and finished it. I can’t wait to do another one. I was very proud of myself. I couldn’t have done it without first starting by swimming. In fact, I rewarded myself with a lovely, relaxing swim in the pool afterwards.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. If you're having to tread water a lot and do that for 30min, then yeah pretty good workout. If you can just walk and touch the pool bottom, then not so great because you need less muscle to stay upright in water.
    Go to the deep end.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    Swimming is amazing probably the best fitness activity in many ways. The worse you are the more calories you burn. Combining it with strength training and you’re covered.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I love swim aerobics. I always gain a pound or two and lots of muscle. You can see an obvious difference in my body. I like it.