Exercise.

Options
Hi
After having three large babies and battling depression , I know weigh double what I should at 23 stone.
I have just purchased a treadmill and not exercised for 20 odd years, Always hated exercise.
But now I suffer with high cholestral and type II diabetes, Every time I exercise I feel sick and dizzy or feel like crap for a couple of days after. Keep expecting a heart attack to start !

How much exercise should I do on the treadmill, and what should my heart rate go to and not over.
How much exercise should I do when I am morbidly obese ?

Replies

• mjhmjhmjh
    mjhmjhmjh Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Well done for getting started, but it sounds like à question for your doctor.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    See your Dr and ask for a taiilored exercise programme. In the meantime walk whenever you can (but maybe not up too many stairs!) and concentrate on eating at a sensible deficit.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    One of the guys I used to work with started exercise on a treadmill. What he did might work for you, so I will suggest it, but speak with your doctor before starting with this so they know what you are doing.

He started with walking, every day on the treadmill for 30 minutes at a brisk but easy pace and on a 0 incline. Each week, if he felt he was ready he would up the incline by 1%. He would repeat the incline sometimes if he needed to, but eventually he was up to 60 minutes a week walking at like the highest incline possible. He kept the pace brisk but easy (you shouldn't have to hold onto the hand rails too hard, just enough to help maintain posture) and then eventually shifted to a running and lifting program.

Remember though, weight loss is mainly about calories so make sure you are tracking accurately. Good luck in your journey!
  • Dhonveli
    Options
    I guess in your case its better go for bicycle instead of thread mill.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Slow & steady (at first). The nice thing about a treadmill is it will keep track of how far, how fast, etc.

As long as you build (from something) ....it doesn't matter where you start. I started slow.....a pace I felt was brisk (I could carry on a conversation...but not easily). Then I built up speed & minutes..........gradually.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    girl just walk your butt off. literally. walk. walk. and walk some more.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I started off slow by just walking at a moderate pace on my treadmill for about 20 minutes and watching what I ate. I lost 16 lbs in the first month just by doing this and I was very out of shape.
  • patols1
    patols1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    when I started exercising again I could only do ten minutes a day on my bike( i have asthma and arthritis in my knees). I just gradually built up my time. right now I have made it up to 30 minutes. i did see my doctor before starting to change my eating habits and exercising. had all my blood work done, stress test, etc. i would definitely suggest going to the doctor and getting a physical done before starting.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Start at a pace where you can hold a conversation probably around 110 - 120 BPM on your HRM. I struggled going to fast to quick and then got a HRM and by setting the alarms at 70-75% of my max HR I solved the problem. Your max HR is approx 220 - Age so 172bpm, and 75% is 129bpm.