Working out with machines does it get results

Options
I recently moved back to my native land, and there are no gyms with classes in the afternoon, which is when I can go. In the US I did Les Mills and loved it.
So, there is a (sort of) Anytime Fitness nearby. Can I get results lifting with machines? I have the cardio under control.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Depends on what results you're looking for. Machines offers resistance, just not resistance from free weights. Ultimately people lose body fat with their diet and exercise for health, shape and fitness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I am looking to be healthier and leaner. Just cardio alone doesn't really help plus it is boring. I was losing body fat with BodyPump, and I wondered if that would happen if I lift with machines. Since I don't know how to lift with free weights.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have always heard that free weights are the way to go and based on my experience I totally agree.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I did machines for about a year. I got a bit stronger, for sure, and they stopped me losing too much muscle mass while I was shedding pounds. They also didn't take much thought or care - no chance of dropping a barbell on your head - which makes them very accessible. So they served their purpose. But they are limited, and boring. And machines don't make you stabilize the weight, so even though you may get a bit stronger, it's not particularly useful strength. It's rare in life to have to move something which is already stabilized through a single plane.

Now I'm on free weights. They are much more challenging, and my strength is increasing much faster. The big compound lifts work your whole body at once, and will make you much more aware of your body and how it works. You will be generally more stable and confident in your own body. They are certainly more challenging. You'll need to read, ask questions, get feedback, and be constantly aware of your form to avoid injury. But that's not a con - it's a pro.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Find a weightlifting club maybe?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You can get a good workout with machines - just the same way that you can get a bad workout with free weights!

Free weights are superior in that you use more stabilising muscles but if your choice is no resistance training or using the machines then go for it.
    Cable and body weight exercises are two other options to consider, or use a blend of all of them. In reality they all have their pros & cons.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I agree with that. If machines were useless, every gym in the country wouldn't have them. Resistance is resistance. Use what you can!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Actually, most gyms have machines because it makes people feel more comfortable about coming in a working out. They were developed as marketing tools, since free weights intimidate and discourage most people from joining.

The answer to the question of "do machines get results?" is yes, they do. But they are very far from ideal, because they restrict your range of motion (for many people even when adjusted) and promote isolation exercises which are inefficient and lack in a holistic approach to strength and fitness. Free weights on the other hand do.