I'm in need of some veggie recipes

Options
2»

Replies

• AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Check out "plant based on a budget" on Facebook. They offer recipes for 1,2 or 4 people, and meal plans for a week at a time all for under $25/person/week

https://www.facebook.com/PlantBasedOnABudget
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have a dinner party, I use recipes from www.smittenkitchen.com. They never fail to please my guests and make me look like a genius. :drinker:
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Veggi on the cheap?

You could do a pasta primevera; whole wheat pasta (some have additional protein AND some even have a serving of veg). Take olive oil, heat it in the pan add a clove or two of garlic, add choice of veggies, once cooked add a bit of liquid (veg stock, wine, if your not strict on the veg theme chicken stock) bring it up to a simmer and take a bit of the salted pasta water a couple of TBS (it will thicken the sauce) turn the heat up until its slightly thicker. Drain the pasta and toss with the veggies and sauce. (I'd add red pepper flakes to it but its optional).

You could use frozen veggies, but I would stay away from canned.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I make southewestern veggie soup. All you need are a can (or two) of black beans, a can of kidney beans, a can of pinto beans, red and green bell peppers, a yellow onion, 30 ounce can of diced tomatoes, veggie stock, and fresh tomatoes (chopped).

I cook the peppers and onion in a little oil first in the pot I'll cook the soup in. After they're soft, I'll add all the ingredients, any spices I want to add (like crushed red pepper flakes, chili powder, black and white pepper, ect). Let it simmer for an hour, and bam! Great meal. :)
  • rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Anything with roasted chickpeas is a great substitute for me. You can replace meat in a lot of dishes with then and if you roast until crispy they make a great snack.
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    2 of my faves...

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/slow-cooker-vegetarian-chili-with-sweet-potatoes-00000000049528/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/macaroni-and-4-cheeses-recipe/index.html

Both of these also freeze really well.

I triple the chilli when I make it, section it off into portions that work for my family, then freeze. The night before I want to make it I put one in the fridge and then dump it in the slow cooker the next morning.

The macaroni serves 8, so I usually make the whole thing, then divide it in half and freeze one half of it (minus the crumb topping). Then again, put it in the fridge the night before, then all I have to do the next evening is add the topping and bake.