Couch to 5K

Options

Replies

• nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Great programs, I did it in the summer of 2012. Now I run all time time and have completed many 5ks, a half marathon, and various obstacle races up to 14 miles long. Just stick with it, it works.
  • Link2Life
    Link2Life Posts: 102 Member
    Options
  • amberflo143
    amberflo143 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I completed the couch 25k last week and now have moved on to the 10K program. I love it, the way I feel is great, plus I get to eat much more when I am doing the longer runs!
  • evangelistjcmayo
    evangelistjcmayo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean by couch. Good for you!
  • ksugirl13
    ksugirl13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would love to give this a try as well, but running is so not my forte!
  • PeaceLoveJoy2
    PeaceLoveJoy2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started this. I am on Week 4 day 2. I seriously thought my heart was going to explode! Now, I am doing it. There is a voice coach on the program that tells me exactly when to walk and when to jog. I won't let myself quit until he tells me I can. Honestly, this program has been very good for my confidence as well because I would have quit on myself being that I am not in shape whatsoever. Doing this has motivated me to tackle other things as well. Highly recommend that you, "GO FOR IT!"
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I did it several years ago and modified it for times instead of distances. I run exclusively on a treadmill since it's never raining, too cold or too hot in the gym. I never did get up to 5K but I run 2 mi. 3 x per week at a 9:22/mi. pace. I've been faster and slower over the years but my current goal is to get back to a 9:05 pace or better.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to restart couch to 5k... I'll do it with y'all add me if you want to...
  • makeoverchallenge
    Options
    I think I'm going to start it tomorrow!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Taking up running isn't about building your cardio, or at least it isn't only about building your cardio. C25K gets the entirety of your body ready to run in a gradual, intelligent manner. I wish I knew about it when I started running. I just laced up and tried to do more than before everytime. I wound up with some issues because my cardio said "keep going" and my legs, back, and especially feet said "hey buddy, not so fast".

Anytime anyone asks me for advice to start running I point them to C25K and a running store to get properly fitted for proper footware.

C25K will get the entirety of your body acclimated to the rigors of running. Then you can unplug your mind and worries and just enjoy the run. Running keeps me sane and it provides a buffer to my calorie budget which often but not always translates to a beer or two...
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have used RunDouble c25k in the past and liked it. It helped with my first 5k. The thing I like about RunDouble is it speaks start, Stop, Cooldown. The one that has a standard beep gets annoying if you loose track.
  • indigo827
    Options
    It's a great program! :)
  • ShannonTodd
    ShannonTodd Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I used C25K to get back into running after my youngest son was born, and absolutely loved it! Go for the program. If you need a cheerleader, feel free to add me! :)
  • InfamousFox
    InfamousFox Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k sounds like a crazy idea and my crazy mind is in whole-hearted agreement that I should jump on board and do it too! (My body is in disagreement and will take some convincing, but I can be pretty persuasive.) I'll add you. ;)
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I started in March, got to week 5 and then graduated early. I've now got my first 10K race in 6 days.
    Super addictive, fantastic for your confidence and there's always another target for you to set.

Week 7 for me and now regularly do my local Park Run, am signed up for a couple of 10k's next year and a half marathon next October. I've gone from hating running to absolutely loving it. As above, its totally addictive!

Because I was 300lbs when I started I took it slower than 3 sessions a week and did elliptical sessions and swimming in between. I also iced my knees if I had any knee aches/ pain at all after a session. I can now run for 90mins without stopping! I'm slow but have stamina I didn't think possible when I struggled through the first session of C25K, I've also taken nearly 15mins off my 5k time since August when I ran my 1st 5k! Its hard but worth sticking with as it gets easier and that's when the buzz kicks in :D
  • juanpegler
    juanpegler Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I started in March, got to week 5 and then graduated early. I've now got my first 10K race in 6 days.
    Super addictive, fantastic for your confidence and there's always another target for you to set.
    Nice! Good Luck on the Race.
  • rle2512
    rle2512 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I started with that program I'm up to 10 miles at a time, its been 6 months since i started the couch to 5k and when i started i could only run 1/8 of a mile at a time.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If running is something you want to do, couch to 5k is fantastic. I 'graduated' in spring this year, and I'm now running a 25min 5k, and I can run upwards of ten miles should the fancy take me.

If you are just looking to burn some calories and get in shape, don't feel you have to run. You can do it just as well taking up a sport, zumba, or whatever. If you pick something you actively want to do you are much more likely to stick with it long term.
  • NessaR2011
    NessaR2011 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is AMAZING. I could barely walk quick enough to keep up with my husband let alone run. Now I'm running 3-5 times a week. Me. I'm still in shock to be honest. I just finished the last week and I love that even in my still fairly large body I can run. Go for it. You'll love how much it transforms you!
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I started C25K earlier this year and found it incredibly tough.

I did a "free run " a couple of weeks ago, and amazed myself by running a full 5k with only a couple of short walks. I would have given up a long time before without the program.

Do it, and do it today.