help on maintaining please!

Options
Hey everyone! I lost 3 stone, and attempted to start a bulk however decided not now as i've just started a university course and finding it a big work load. Currently I work cleaning 13hrs a week cleaning, and I do 12hrs a week volunteer work at a nursery where im often on my feet chasing children! haha. Ive been 1800 calories, 180g carbs, 100g or so protein and 40g fat. Im currently at 6st 12lb and 4ft 11. Am i eating too much to just maintain? and if I should cut things what are they? Ive put on a couple of pounds in two months so I assume Im having too much of something somewhere.

Thanks!

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    According to your diary, you are eating well below 1800 calories a day on average. Are you not logging everything?
  • jenmarqueiro
    jenmarqueiro Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No I log everything but sometimes I have like 250 cals left over but ive hit my fat and carbs so i dont eat more. I know i never hit my protein but because of my weight I dont actually need that much
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    If your protein is much higher than you need, adjust your protein goal to a more realistic goal and increase your fat/carb goal. Your goal is 180 and you are averaging about 130/day. At 96 lbs, 80 grams is the minimum protein goal, but you can target for higher if you find it help with satiety or your prefer high protein foods. Also, fat goals should be treated as a minimum. Fat is necessary; it's important for absorbing certain vitamins.

Calories come from protein, carbs, and fat, so just by the math of it, if you are falling short of your current protein goal, you will reach your carb and fat goals before you hit your calorie goal.

In the last month, you've averaged just 1330 calories/day. Your TDEE, even if you are sedentary, should be around 1500 calories. I would expect you would still be losing at least 1/2 lb per week. Are you using a food scale and logging the amounts accurately? The fact you are gaining weight points to the fact you are eating higher than your TDEE.

TDEE calculators aren't perfect, so to find yours, you would keep track of weight while making small adjustments to your daily calorie goal, until you maintain long term. It's trial and error for the most part.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Am i eating too much to just maintain?
    I've put on a couple of pounds in two months.

You have answered your own question!
    Ignoring normal weight fluctuations you are eating about a 100 calories a day over maintenance.
    So a few more calories burned by activity/exercise or a few less calories eaten should find you your balance point.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Am i eating too much to just maintain?
    I've put on a couple of pounds in two months.

You have answered your own question!
    Ignoring normal weight fluctuations you are eating about a 100 calories a day over maintenance.
    So a few more calories burned by activity/exercise or a few less calories eaten should find you your balance point.

I can put on 2 lb in 2 days and lose it again 2 hrs later. Agree overall that gentle adjustment over time finds the right balance.

OP, I wouldn't limit calories based on macros. Some of the entries in the database don't even record some elements.
  • jenmarqueiro
    jenmarqueiro Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! well I guess my activity levels have been up and down a bit recently so might make small adjustments to it . . . but yeah I make sure the things I log have all the accurate protein, carbs and fat. will try and maintain my eating and perhaps move a bit more :) all advice still very welcome