5-minutes-of-what-the-media-actually-does-to-women

Options

Replies

• jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Excellent post!!! Thanks for sharing!!! so very true and so sad that so many women believe it !!
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Well worth watching. Thanks OP for posting the link.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    im glad stuff like this gets reposted helps remind and educate
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    Violence against women is inevitable? Sorry I can't take that seriously.
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yes people need to be aware that most models are photo shopped. Beyond that I don't see the point of this video.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    This video is neo-feminist nonsense that only perpetuates a victim mindset. And comparing photoshopped images of women to racism, homophobia, and terrorism is laughable.

Let's be honest here: Jessica Alba is a beautiful woman with a fantastic body. The fact that she was photoshopped on a magazine cover doesn't make that less true. But what on God's green earth does Jessica Alba have to do with MY body? Not a damned thing. Whether she's beautiful or ugly or fat or thin does not change a single thing about my body or how I feel about it. If you feel ugly or depressed because you're comparing yourself to a photo of a movie star who's had the benefit of a professional photographer, professional makeup, professional hair styling, professional spray-tanning, professional airbrushing (you get the picture) ... then you are living in fantasy land, and that's a problem for you, but it's not a problem for womankind. To make it one is to trivialize societal problems that ALL women deal with, not just the ones with zero self-esteem and zero ability to separate fiction from reality.

The hypocrisy is also astounding to me. Every picture I see on Facebook these days has been Instagrammed to high heaven to make it a more flattering photo of the subject. Women and girls all over the Internet post highly provocative photos of themselves in a way that PROUDLY suggests their body is their most redeeming quality. But God forbid a fashion magazine chops up a photo of a model to sell a dress. "Oh the model is being exploited, women are being told they are worthless if they don't look a certain way, blah blah blah."

I'm completely over the female pity party. Whatever it is that you want to be, figure out how to be it, and do the best you can. If you can truly say you are doing that, then this sort of crap will just sound like noise to you because you will have enough pride and self-respect not to fall for someone else's idea of what you're supposed to be.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    This video is neo-feminist nonsense that only perpetuates a victim mindset. And comparing photoshopped images of women to racism, homophobia, and terrorism is laughable.

Let's be honest here: Jessica Alba is a beautiful woman with a fantastic body. The fact that she was photoshopped on a magazine cover doesn't make that less true. But what on God's green earth does Jessica Alba have to do with MY body? Not a damned thing. Whether she's beautiful or ugly or fat or thin does not change a single thing about my body or how I feel about it. If you feel ugly or depressed because you're comparing yourself to a photo of a movie star who's had the benefit of a professional photographer, professional makeup, professional hair styling, professional spray-tanning, professional airbrushing (you get the picture) ... then you are living in fantasy land, and that's a problem for you, but it's not a problem for womankind. To make it one is to trivialize societal problems that ALL women deal with, not just the ones with zero self-esteem and zero ability to separate fiction from reality.

The hypocrisy is also astounding to me. Every picture I see on Facebook these days has been Instagrammed to high heaven to make it a more flattering photo of the subject. Women and girls all over the Internet post highly provocative photos of themselves in a way that PROUDLY suggests their body is their most redeeming quality. But God forbid a fashion magazine chops up a photo of a model to sell a dress. "Oh the model is being exploited, women are being told they are worthless if they don't look a certain way, blah blah blah."

I'm completely over the female pity party. Whatever it is that you want to be, figure out how to be it, and do the best you can. If you can truly say you are doing that, then this sort of crap will just sound like noise to you because you will have enough pride and self-respect not to fall for someone else's idea of what you're supposed to be.
    Standing ovation!!!!!