How do you eat?

Options
I was reading some different cooking blogs and thinking about the rules each blogger uses when choosing and preparing foods for themselves and their family. Some people have food sensitivities or allergies, some are vegetarian/vegan, some are following a "paleo" style diet, some advocate Weston Price and eating lots of animal fats, some only eat raw foods, some only eat organic, some only local, some only what they can grow themselves.

I'm curious how other people on MFP eat. For example, I'm omnivorous but I very, very rarely pork (about twice a year and usually accidentally,) mainly for cultural reasons as my family is mostly Jewish. I only eat eggs and chicken from free-range birds, dairy, beef and lamb from grass-fed, humanely-treated animals, and fish that is caught sustainably. I can't do these things 100% of the time, but I shoot for 95%. Most of my produce is local and organic. I do indulge in the occasional fast-food burger, burrito, or pizza slice, but as often as I can I prepare my own food. I eat a lot of butter and very little white flour, and I try to eat something fermented with every meal.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i eat food that i like
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I usually go with the chew-then-swallow method.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I like to use a fork or spoon. Sometimes, I'll use chopsticks.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I use my hands. I'm an animal.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm allergic to wheat so I avoid that. anything else that i like eating is fair game. i'm also an omnivore and like most meat except beef unless it's really really high quality and then i only like it raw or rare
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ lolol
    well i only eat chicken, turkey and seafood. i strongly dislike pork and beef and anything else out of my comfort zone. i dont add butter to anything nor eat it, i dont have fast food and if im in a situation where i "have to" eat out, i'll go for salads or fruit or whatever healthier options they carry. i try to go for natural/organic products but not 100% of the time considering it's expensive as hell. thanks for asking though ;)
  • JessicaLSpindler
    Options
    I eat vegetables and fruit everyday. I also love those Glucerna chocolate shakes. I mostly eat chicken for dinner. We have ground beef at home, but I don't crave it. I crave chicken more.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, the only thing I "DON'T" do is eat fried foods. Has nothing to do with weight loss though. I tend to shy away from red meat most of the time as well.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I eat with toothpicks. Like Rain Man.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I've been going hands-free for a while now, mostly because I'm practicing for a competition this summer.
  • EbenGreens
    Options
    Been trying some chai seeds recently, they work really well for energy.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I ate pescetarian for 1 year (Thanksgiving 2012 to Thanksgiving 2013). I still eat that way about 75-80% of the time. My husband is strictly pescetarian & we don't have meat in our house, which is fine by me. But in restaurants or at others' homes I've now incorporated chicken and some types of lean beef (ground, shredded, thin slices of fajita beef) back into my diet. Not sure if I'll resume eating pork or turkey as I've never cared much for those. I won't eat bacon, chicken on the bone, ribs, or steak.

I love fish, shrimp, etc. Eat at least 1 egg per day. I enjoy dairy, especially nonfat plain Greek yogurt and string cheese. I try to incorporate as many vegetables into my diet as possible. I do eat bread, rice, beans, carbs of all types but always try to make them a secondary or tertiary part of one meal per day rather than the main attraction. I enjoy cheese and nuts but consume them sparingly.

When I shop, I mainly avoid the boxes & cans. However I do eat premade stuff like Clif Z bars, Atkins bars, and quite a bit of frozen food whether veggies, fruit, or meat substitutes...so I don't avoid processed food completely. I don't have any allergies or any particular health concerns so I will pretty much eat "whatever". I try to stick to my MFP-set macros but I don't even track carbs, and I usually go over a small amount on sugar each day. I try not to ever go over on sodium.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I like mustard on my taterz.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I'm a raw vegan.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian here, but my hubby is still an Omnivore so we still have meat in the house. I love guacamole and eat it almost every day. I genuinely love fruit and veggies, it is hard to eat out because most places think you need to deep fry them or cover them with cheese and I am not big on either one of those options, lol. I don't eat a lot of pasta either, I don't really like it. I think the reason I cannot lost weight is the chips! Guacamole must have chips! LOL
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mwzhicKebM1s4zits.gif
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    i eat food that i like

This point, albeit simple, is crucial for a long-term, sustainable diet. A friend of mine who lost almost 100 lbs said the "thing" that worked for him was finding healthy foods that he enjoyed. Whatever you do, find foods that you enjoy eating and eat fewer calories than you take in. Losing weight, in and of itself, is a health benefit.

For myself, I follow the "Eat This, Not That" bible for practical food choices: http://eatthis.menshealth.com/home

I used to do low-carb diets and had a lot of success, but they just aren't sustainable. I love beer, pizza, and sandwiches. Now I eat beer, pizza, and sandwiches and I still get to lose weight. It really is just calories in/calories out. Eat good food. Be happy. Lose some weight. Get healthy. Profit. :)
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I just try not to choke.

that's the same approach I take when sucking on a . . . popsicle
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I eat with toothpicks. Like Rain Man.

Sorry, love your avatar.