Addicted to sugar

Options
Helle everyone!
So I have a HUGE sweet tooth. I could sit here and eat brownies, ice cream, anything with sugar all day long. I'm really trying to be healthy, but it's really hard when all you want is some ice cream.
My question is, Is there anything you guys eat when that major craving come? Fruit just doesn't do it for me. Is there any other option that I could try for when that craving hits me really hard?
Thank you in advance for your help!

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Helle everyone!
    So I have a HUGE sweet tooth. I could sit here and eat brownies, ice cream, anything with sugar all day long. I'm really trying to be healthy, but it's really hard when all you want is some ice cream.
    My question is, Is there anything you guys eat when that major craving come? Fruit just doesn't do it for me. Is there any other option that I could try for when that craving hits me really hard?

Set reasonable goals so you can still enjoy your brownies and ice cream.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Helle everyone!

Yup.
  • FeelingLessChubby
    FeelingLessChubby Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I understand you, because I'm the same way... I just love sweets. But I also know that when they're not around, I don't want to eat them. So I don't keep any sweets at home, and when they're not available, I don't think about them. Then when I have some, I can't stop thinking about them. So I don't buy any.

You can switch to lower-cal stuff, for example low-fat frozen yogurt, low fat chocolate, also you can cheat with stuff like pour a tablespoon of honey on cereal etc.

I read a very interesting article about honey - it said that if you drink a cup of hot water with 2 tablespoons of honey mixed in before bedtime, it'll help you manage the sweet cravings during the day? Of course, like many things, it won't work for everyone, but may be worth a try? Just don't make boiling water cause it kills all the goodness in honey - boil water then fill half cup and top up with cold water, then put the honey in.

There are always options, you can still eat sweet, but smart :)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I understand you, because I'm the same way... I just love sweets. But I also know that when they're not around, I don't want to eat them. So I don't keep any sweets at home, and when they're not available, I don't think about them. Then when I have some, I can't stop thinking about them. So I don't buy any.

You can switch to lower-cal stuff, for example low-fat frozen yogurt, low fat chocolate, also you can cheat with stuff like pour a tablespoon of honey on cereal etc.

I read a very interesting article about honey - it said that if you drink a cup of hot water with 2 tablespoons of honey mixed in before bedtime, it'll help you manage the sweet cravings during the day? Of course, like many things, it won't work for everyone, but may be worth a try? Just don't make boiling water cause it kills all the goodness in honey - boil water then fill half cup and top up with cold water, then put the honey in.

Why low fat? Dietary fat is satisfying and necessary.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Helle everyone!

Yup.

+1

Also, ice cream and brownies and such are the exact reasons I exercise.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    :happy: A different perspective:

I stopped eating sugar.

Now I don't crave anything. :happy:
  • Janice231
    Janice231 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to sugar as well. However, I know that the more I eat sweets the more I crave it. Try to set a boundary for yourself until you get more discipline with eating sweets. I still have my sweets but, I make sure my serving of it is not over 125 -150 calories. For example, that could be 2 cookies. And that will be one of my snacks for the day.
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Why low fat? Dietary fat is satisfying and necessary.

Low fat....so you know....you can eat more sugar cookies and drink more cola with high fructose corn syrup in it duhhhhh
  • Janice231
    Janice231 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I stopped eating sugar.

I like your perspective.
    Because sugar reacts in our bodies like a drug. People crave sugar
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    oh ****, son. Sugar isn't a drug in our bodies O.o

Set aside some calories for stuff you like or risk the binge and self loathing later (and it will happen, trust)
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Yeah so you can eat things which you think are ice cream, but instead in fact labeled "Frozen Dairy Dessert"

breyers-frozen-dairy-dessert.jpg

ITS NOT ICE CREAM....you heathen!!!!!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/dining/remembering-when-breyers-ice-cream-was-you-know-ice-cream.html?_r=0
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to sugar as well. However, I know that the more I eat sweets the more I crave it.

What helped me is something I call bridge foods. For example:

130219-substitutions.jpg

Raisins gave me the sweetness I craved but not the fat of chocolate. However, they were still calorie-dense. I then moved from raisins to grapes and typically eat two cups of grapes after my workout.

I got sugar cravings for about the first couple of weeks. But I let the raisins (and other dried fruit) wean me from the richer sweets first, then let the grapes (and other fresh fruit) wean me from the dried fruit. Now, both the desserts and the dried fruits taste almost too rich. I've had processed desserts (e.g., cake, cookies, chocolate) three or four times within the past year, which was a tremendous and very enjoyable treat, but I was also very happy to return to "my" food afterwards. I have honey on occasion, but my consumption there has been decreasing on its own.

I don't do low-fat, either, but most of my fats come from olive oil, cheese, and nuts.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I stopped eating sugar.

No need to lie to everyone...
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Helle everyone!

A lot of could just sit there and eat sweets all day, including myself. I think it's time to start making adult decisions.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options

I stopped eating sugar.

oh stahp
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options

I stopped eating sugar.

Same here. That's the way it works for me. If I eat sugar, I crave more sugar. If I don't eat it, the sugar cravings go away. It's a strategy that works for me. I hope you find what works for you. Good luck.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have foods that will make them binge. Unfortunately, many people do not stop eating when they are faced with sweets. I used to be that way. BUT - rather than cut them out completely, I learned to eat the things l loved in moderation. I had to teach myself the control to just have one brownie - not the whole pan.

It's very hard, but unless you live under a rock, you will always have the access to things that are trigger foods. Learn to deal with them. Learn moderation.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options

I stopped eating sugar.

I really don't crave all that sugary crap any more - no lies. It's really easy to say no. I used to fantasise about gorging myself on cakes and ice cream and chocolate and puddings. I used to actually hunt for my next sugary hit. For me it is a drug I'd rather not have in my life. I have taken back control of my food which I see as fuel now - I love it!

I don't miss the sugar and everyone who knows me has noticed all the positive side effects that has had in me, less moody, less insomnia, much easier pmt, more money in my pocket, clear skin, more energy........
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I stopped eating sugar.

I really don't crave all that sugary crap any more - no lies. It's really easy to say no. I used to fantasise about gorging myself on cakes and ice cream and chocolate and puddings. I used to actually hunt for my next sugary hit. For me it is a drug I'd rather not have in my life. I have taken back control of my food which I see as fuel now - I love it!

I don't miss the sugar and everyone who knows me has noticed all the positive side effects that has had in me, less moody, less insomnia, much easier pmt, more money in my pocket, clear skin, more energy........

So you eat zero carb, or just don't know what sugar is?
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Helle everyone!

I can inhale whole family sized bags of sweets in one sitting. Same with icecream. And I'll be thinking about the cake I'll eat after while eating those! As someone has said above, not having it in the house is the first step.

I eat something fatty instead.

Bacon, coconut oil, peanut butter, butter, cream, steak, pork crackling, avocado, aioli.

I also make peanut butter fat bombs/sugar free peanut butter cups (peanut butter, coconut oil, butter, sugar free chocolate mix) with artificial sweetener for when the craving is REALLY bad.