Sugar cravings

Options
Okay! So I've always had a relatively healthy diet but then there's the times that I stop thinking about what I'm eating and grab the nearest thing that's usually full of salt or sugar, and I have a HUGE SWEET TOOTH. How do you avoid you're food devils without feeling like you're missing out.

All thoughts or advice welcome. I need help!
Xx

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    The trick is to not cut the things you love and just learn to eat them with responsibility. You don't want to give them up forever, do you? Why not fit them in to your day now and again ;)
  • beltinches
    beltinches Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That's a great way of looking at it.
    At the moment though I don't think I've got the will power and can trust myself to start eating sugar.
    That's how I seem to fall back into bad habits.

Thank you!
  • jlar09
    jlar09 Posts: 99
    Options
    I know most MFP'ers say you can still eat your sugar if it fits in your calorie goals, but honestly I swear by cutting out all desserts 100%. I've been doing that for about 3 months ago and the sugars I crave are the natural ones I put in my protein shakes by way of frozen fruit. Absolutely no desserts was as hard as hell for the first two or three weeks, but now it's not that hard to wave away the goodies. I originally committed for one week, then one month, then to the end of the year, and now I've decided I'm going to continue eating this way throughout 2014. I have little self control when I eat sugary things, so the all or nothing deal works well for me.

....Now if I could just cut out bread and pasta completely the same way, that would be perfect. ;)
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry :( maybe you could portion them out the day before? I find planning my day out the night before helps me stay focused and not grab the nearest thing. Eating high protein and making sure you're getting enough fats can also help make you feel more full. I'm sure others will have some helpful suggestions as well
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry :( maybe you could portion them out the day before? I find planning my day out the night before helps me stay focused and not grab the nearest thing. Eating high protein and making sure you're getting enough fats can also help make you feel more full. I'm sure others will have some helpful suggestions as well

This about sums it up. Just plan your day, and plan to indulge every now and then. Just don't allow yourself to go overboard. I find that if your going to eat some sweets, drink a large glass of water right before, maybe two glasses. Helps fill you up quickly to help sway you from eating too much of a particular sweet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb.. with that said its more important to watch protein than other macros, short of a medical condition. Aiming for 1g of protein per lb of lbm should be your goal. But I eat cookies and klondikes most nights and I will lose weight.
  • beltinches
    Options

Yeah I think you may have a point. I think I'll try planning my days ahead and see if that helps. Thank you again!
  • beltinches
    Options
    I know most MFP'ers say you can still eat your sugar if it fits in your calorie goals, but honestly I swear by cutting out all desserts 100%. I've been doing that for about 3 months ago and the sugars I crave are the natural ones I put in my protein shakes by way of frozen fruit. Absolutely no desserts was as hard as hell for the first two or three weeks, but now it's not that hard to wave away the goodies. I originally committed for one week, then one month, then to the end of the year, and now I've decided I'm going to continue eating this way throughout 2014. I have little self control when I eat sugary things, so the all or nothing deal works well for me.

....Now if I could just cut out bread and pasta completely the same way, that would be perfect. ;)
    By cutting out all sugar, does that include all added sugars like honey, cornsyrup, artificial sweeteners etc ?
    I'm not too worries about the sugar in fruits and vegetables because I know they do have their role in the diet.

Thanks for replying by the way.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I love to eat a medjool date for a sweet craving. If I eat after having 1/4 cup raw almonds and follow up with a tall glass of water, I am very satisfied.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

By cutting out all sugar, does that include all added sugars like honey, cornsyrup, artificial sweeteners etc ?
    I'm not too worries about the sugar in fruits and vegetables because I know they do have their role in the diet.

Thanks for replying by the way.

The sugars in candy bars are processed the same way as fruit/veggies. The advantage to fruit is fiber and vitamins/minerals.
  • briersting
    Options
    I find portioning and planning my meals the day before helps me to stay away from the "quick fix". When it comes to sugar...the only thing that truly works for me is to totally cut it out. I did that when I first starting this back in January. I did really well and ate NO added sugars for five months. I'm going to do the 21 day sugar detox in January and get my sweet tooth back under control. If you know that you can't fight the temptation, then the best thing to do, until you can control it, is abstinence.
  • Snowthorn
    Snowthorn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth too, I found that when ever I get the urge for sweet things I eat an orange and that satisfies me. I also have a back up supply of options hot chocolates if I'm craving something chocolatey! It's difficult to cut out all sugar from your diet so just try to replace the unhealthy ones.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I found that when I was losing weight I just made the commitment I would get them back for true special occasions after I got thru my maintenance plan. I didn't look at it as "missing out" as it seems sugary treats - whether they be little debbie cakes or gourmet cookies -- are always available in some form. Same with salty carb-y things.

I really don't miss them. And the one time I ate a girl scout cookie I gobble three more. So I won't be trying to eat those anymore. I have had my share. No reason to eat someone else's.

I do my best with limited fruit servings or fat free vanilla greek yogurt with a big spoon of cinnamon stirred in.
  • Lea335
    Lea335 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Once I start, have trouble stopping on sugar. Helps me to buy small portions. Also sometimes I can find lower calorie alternatives.
  • beltinches
    Options
    You guys have given me a lot to think about and I think I just need to re-think some of my eating habits. I think to test it out I'm gonna avoid sugar added products and white/brown sugar products for a week and see how I get on. I'll probably still have to occasionally drop of honey in my tea but besides that I'm gonna cut down and see how I get on.

Thanks to everyone to shared their advice. I really appreciate the words of wisdom.
    Feel free to add me and good luck on your journeys!

:)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice on portion controls. I allow myself chocolate everyday, Ghiradelli squares are nice because they are individually wrapped.

Also - timing. I wait until late in the day for my chocolate fix. That way I am less likely to binge. Find the "thing" that you like best and allow yourself that.