? saggy skin

Options
I have been heavy for about 15 yrs (I'm 40) I need to lose about 80 pounds. Is it possible to do without ending up with really saggy skin? Don't get me wrong I'll take saggy skin over being unhealthy I just would like to know the likeliness of having lots of excess skin. Thanks

Replies

• mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This is one of my fears also which is why I've set my weight loss at .5 kg a week - to give my skin a chance to shrink along with me. Plus doing toning exercises and have a fairly high protein intake.

I could be wrong and many may disagree with me but I think if you lose weight too quickly there is more chance of loose skin.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    You're likely to end up with some regardless because as you age your skin loses elasticity. I'm 33 and mine sags a ridiculous amount. I can't even describe to you what's happened to ''the girls''.....well.....yes I can......like puddin' in a tube sock. That is all.

That said, I did go pretty fast for a while averaging between 4 and 8 pounds a week. I'm told doing some weight lifting to ''tone'' might help tighten things up but probably not as much as I'd like. A friend told me her co-worker had her skin removal covered by MSP because it was over 100 pounds of weight loss. I'm really hoping that's true....and that it's not just the stomach area they cover
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Well I am 39 and lost over 70 pounds and no saggin yet, just the fat that's still left over. Strength training, hydration, and moisturizers can help. Also, don't lose too quickly!
  • r3tgrs
    Options
    I'm not sure what the exact answer is...but for me losing the weight gradually has been a little better. Maybe it's becuase I'm actually trying to exercise at the same size?
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    It is inevitable unless you are a young buck and/or good genetics....I have like 10 lbs left and all I can do is lift heavy and moisturize with Jergens Skin Firming consistently...it sucks..