Night Shift, The Hunger!!!

Options
clarkeje1
clarkeje1 Posts: 1,629 Member
Hey everybody,

So the next few nights I'll be working night shift. For some reason I get really hungry during night shift (maybe because my body is trying to keep itself awake so I'm burning more calories from that)? But even if I have eaten earlier in the day I'm still starving throughout my shift. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to eat at work that will help curb my appetite? Last night I had a lot of water, soup, and an orange, granola bar, and yogurt. Then got hungry later and had popcorn and a small salad. Then I was starving by the time I got home so I had red beans and rice. The calories are adding up!!! Help!

Replies

• clarkeje1
    Options
    bump
  • clarkeje1
    Options
    bump
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Treat it like the day shift, don't eat during the day and have a lunch mid shift.

Rigger
  • rileyhall00
    Options
    I don't treat nightshift any different from any other day. Though its hard when you try adjusting to and from it, like I stay away and mucks my body and it's like i have an extra meal. I've read that a bit of lemon juice in your water can help curb hunger. I've yet to try it but just something that came to mind.
  • mamacoates
    mamacoates Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting protein into your night meal which will help you stay satisfied longer. Greek yogurt has twice the protein as regular yogurt. Otherwise, I am not seeing much protein in what you listed until you get home (beans). Also, increase the size of your salad. Fill up on lots of veggies for a low calorie count, but do not increase the dressing (if you need to use it - try to use half the amount). As another poster said, just adjust your whole time schedule so your work shift takes the place of one of your other meals earlier in the day.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    All of us night shifters are ravenous after a shift. I eat a good meal at 2 am, pack my lunch. On the drive home, Munch on raw vegetables or cherry tomatoes, filling and not too many calories. When home, eat a little protein, like roast chicken or turkey, and then brush your teeth afterward and go to bed. Good luck. You can message me or add me as a friend. I have worked the night shift forever!
  • clarkeje1
    Options
    great tips, thanks everybody!!!
  • clarkeje1
    Options
    bump to get more night shift replies
  • parselysage
    Options
    When I worked night shift I had a snack at 3pm before I left for work, while I was packing my dinner. Had my "dinner" at my lunch break at 8pm, I'd always have a "snack on my long drive home, and I would eat breakfast eggs/cereal etc. when I got home and then I would sleep. I was never hungry when woke up at 11 or 2… my hours were 4pm to 11 or 12 or 2… depending on how much the day shift left us.

Make up snack baggies of green peppers, carrots, celery to munch on that helps so much when you want to hit the vending machine for chips..
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I work primarily night shifts. I treat it like any other day. I count my cals from 2400 to 2400.

My biggest problem is that I can be moody when things are going bad. The vending machine gets too much of my money on those nights. I have found that by making sure I have enough larger meals with protein and fat to keep me full, I am less likely to give in. Additionally, I bring a few chocolate flavored treats (chocolate brownie bar) that if I really feel the need for a fix I can have something that I know is within my budget.

Another problem is that when I work days, I wake up in the middle of the night expecting that 2am meal :(

Best advice is to plan ahead. Make sure you have some protein and fat to keep full, some low cal fillers that will keep you full (salad, veggies) and some treats if you are prone to that type of thing. Figure out how many calories you are bringing with you, and stick with it.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I work 8pm thru 8am. I always make my husband dinner before I head to work. So I normally eat that beforw I leave. Then a few hiurs later I always bring snacks. I love apples. So I normally eat apples with cottage cheese or peanut butter. I would pack a lunch and then bring a few 100 calorie snacks. Hope this helps.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I work 11pm to 7am. I eat one meal before work (usually oatmeal) and take my lunch and dinner to work (soup or a salad and an entree type meal with a side of veggies). I drink a lot of water and hot tea, and on the occasion I need to curb my sweet tooth most k-cup cappucinos and hot chocolates are only about 80 calories. I've been working midnights for over two years, and this is what works for me! I don't eat once I get home because I typically go to bed almost right away, if I'm ever really hungry, warm almond milk with a little stevia and cinnamon is low cal and helps you sleep. :smile:
  • clarkeje1
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestions!
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    i struggle with it too- but its more appetite than hunger. i eat breakfast when i wake up, then often try to hold out until i get to work 4-5 hrs later. then i eat lunch, a snack, then dinner, and maybe another snack +coffee. this way im held over the whole time im working.
  • dolcebellaluna
    Options
    I work 11pm to 7am. I eat one meal before work (usually oatmeal) and take my lunch and dinner to work (soup or a salad and an entree type meal with a side of veggies). I drink a lot of water and hot tea, and on the occasion I need to curb my sweet tooth most k-cup cappucinos and hot chocolates are only about 80 calories. I've been working midnights for over two years, and this is what works for me! I don't eat once I get home because I typically go to bed almost right away, if I'm ever really hungry, warm almond milk with a little stevia and cinnamon is low cal and helps you sleep. :smile:

I like the hot chocolate idea. It gets awfully cold at work sometimes. I tend to stick to soda for my sweet fix (Pepsi Max is one of my vices) but something warm aside from the coffee that gets me to work might not be such a bad idea. :)
  • dolcebellaluna
    Options
    Hey everybody,

So the next few nights I'll be working night shift. For some reason I get really hungry during night shift (maybe because my body is trying to keep itself awake so I'm burning more calories from that)? But even if I have eaten earlier in the day I'm still starving throughout my shift. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to eat at work that will help curb my appetite? Last night I had a lot of water, soup, and an orange, granola bar, and yogurt. Then got hungry later and had popcorn and a small salad. Then I was starving by the time I got home so I had red beans and rice. The calories are adding up!!! Help!

It doesn't look like you had an actual meal during your shift, just lots of snacks. That was always my problem because I thought it would somehow add to less calories. Oh, a snack here, oh, a snack there...but it adds up!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    The_Hunger_film_poster.jpg
    I treat it as any other day as far as meals and food. I have my diary set up in hourly increments:
    8am-12pm
    12pm-4pm
    4pm-8pm
    8pm-12am
    12am-4am
    4am-8am
    I log my food into whichever time slot it falls into so I stick to the same limit of calories, macros etc within a 24 hour period. It makes no difference whether it's night or day. Anything else is an excuse.

Also, you can try eating more filling satiating meals. Fiber (veggies!) and protein really go a long way to prevent cravings. And give yourself some slack. No-one is perfect 100% of the time. It's okay to eat "bad" or "unhealthy" foods every now and then. For me it's too much pressure when I try to give up the foods I love and I end up binging and swan diving off the wagon. Eat the foods you like in moderation.

If you'd like to check my diary out for ideas, it's always open. I'm by no means perfect though.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    I work nights too.. Canned chicken, its low calorie, high protein and filling.. Fruits like apples etc and veggies too. Veggies you can microwave, steam in the bag type, they are delicious and Low Calorie ! I bring a few bags of carrots too. I also bring the individual low fat cottage cheese too or make my own 1/2 cup servings... I log all ahead of time to make sure I have the calories and sometimes I bring some of it back home or leave it in my fridge at work ! Good luck !!
  • BellaGettinFit
    BellaGettinFit Posts: 113 Member
    Options

great advice! i always ravage through the kitchen when i get off work in the morning bc i don't eat at work or i just eat oatmeal at around 2 am so i've starved by the time 7am rolls around. what do you do about eating when you wake up?
  • kikstand
    kikstand Posts: 36 Member
    Options

great advice! i always ravage through the kitchen when i get off work in the morning bc i don't eat at work or i just eat oatmeal at around 2 am so i've starved by the time 7am rolls around. what do you do about eating when you wake up?
    This is so me!