950 calories burned doing Zumba

Options
I wore my fitbit while taking a Zumba class and it said I had burned almost 1000 calories. Don't get me wrong I worked my butt off but really that many calories. I compared to what MFP had for 60 min of Zumba and it was clse to the same. Is this right?

Replies

• caseys29
    caseys29 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My heart rate monitor usually says about 450 calories for my easier Zumba class and 550 calories for my harder Zumba class. I think MFP is about 100-200 calories more than what my heart rate monitor says when I plug it in, so I'll put in less minutes to balance it out. I'm not sure how the FitBits work - do they measure your heart rate?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's hard but not impossible to burn that much if you're very overweight.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise/SM00109
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Did it say that you burned that much during zumba or was it for the entire day?

The fitbit is intended to track the total calories burned during a day (including those you burn while sleeping, driving, watching tv, being alive).
  • Muffiewilmes
    Muffiewilmes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    No I checked my calories burned right b4 then what it was after and did the math. I'm 80# ovweight so maybe it is right. Thanks
  • carri1234
    carri1234 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I generally burn between 800 and 1100 calories during my Zumba classes. I wear a heart rate monitor and my heart can at times reach 170, so I back off a little. Basically, I dance my butt off :). Sounds like you are too! Good job!