Clothes

Options
Okay I have lost about 40 lbs now. My clothes have become too big. My mom the other day was giving me a hard time about it so I went and bought a new pair of jeans well those are getting too big now. I can't afford to go buy a lot of new clothes every few weeks so I was wondering what some of you all did about getting new clothes. Also what did you did with your old clothes that don't fit anymore? Did you donate, sell, or keep them?

Replies

• dfwtxmissy
    dfwtxmissy Posts: 102
    Options
    I give mine to Goodwill or give to friends who are losing but wearing a bigger size. Also shop for clothes at Goodwill as they are cheap and I can re donate when I need smaller ones.
  • misspenny762
    misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I would be buying dresses and other clothes rather than jeans because dresses will probably fit you longer.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Wow! Firstly, congratulationson your 40lb loss. That is just AWESOME!! :drinker:

Secondly, and what a great position to be in, I would buy and sell clothes on ebay or buy/give to charity. Save up all the money you save you doing this and then splash out on a new wardrobe when you reach your goal :bigsmile:
  • brendac72
    brendac72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I am going thru the same thing. I had a yard sale back in May and got rid of a lot of my clothes. I had size 10, 12,14's and one girl bought 12 pair of shorts from me. Now I asked my friends if anybody would be interested in any of my capri's and told them the sizes so I was able to give 2 of my friends those. What I didn't give, I did donate. I had bought just a couple of things around the end of May and bought size 8's well, now I am almost in a 4. My sister had lost quite a bit so she gave me some dress pants so I could atleast have something to wear for work. I cant afford either to keep buying clothes but am in need of quite a bit. Good luck!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    congrats, I agree great problem to have. My clothes are getting to big also , I was thinking about turning them into consignment stores they will give you credit for your clothes then with the credit you can get new(well new to you)clothes. So you will be getting clothes for free or paying just a little bit ,
  • sparis88
    sparis88 Posts: 30
    Options
    I would be buying dresses and other clothes rather than jeans because dresses will probably fit you longer.

I agree. Once you reach your goal weight then I would buy those jeans!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I am actually taking this time to par down my closet. I am down to 3 pairs of jeans, 3 pairs of dress pants, and 4 dresses. I gave 4 big bags of my clothes to someone that is also loosing weight and let her choose what she wanted and take the rest to good wil. When I do buy new clothes I make sure they start out tighhhht but breathable. I tend to only go for clearance racks where I can get things for $10 and under.
  • degausser234
    degausser234 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss, that's awesome! :)
    Lately, I've been going through my closet and putting clothes into different piles; one pile to throw, one to keep, one to give to the Salvation Army and one for Twice is Nice (a local consignment store)
    I guess I've mostly been wearing dresses and leggings that way I don't have to worry so much about clothes being extremely baggy. For shirts, if it can be well disguised, I put a safety pin in the back so the shirt isn't too loose.
  • OnieBee
    OnieBee Posts: 67
    Options
    I have been facing the same problem but luckily I kept a lot of the clothes I grew out of and now slowly but surely they are beginning to fit. I have bought new items here and there but I feel like I’m wasting my money because they soon become too big to wear within a couple of weeks to a month! (Not complaining, it’s an awesome problem). E-bay or craigslist is a good suggestion during your weight loss period, but after that goal is met I would celebrate with a new closet full of clothes that you worked hard to fit into!!!

Congrats on the weight loss!
  • scott24
    scott24 Posts: 132
    Options
    Congratulations! Such a wonderful feeling, isn't it? I donate my old clothes (don't keep them around - they could become a "crutch", though staying faithful to yourself and your MFP friends should keep that from happening) and anything I buy I try to be thrifty because I know they will be "transitional" clothes. For instance, I won't buy any more shorts because I know by next summer they won't fit anyway. Think long-term for some stuff, get-by for short term stuff. I need a new suit for my son's wedding on New Years Day and you can bet I'll wait until the last minute to go get it.

Enjoy your journey!!!!
  • AmyLynn4321
    AmyLynn4321 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I currently have 7 bags of clothes in 6 different sizes to get rid of - mostly giving away. Thankfully my sister gave me a bunch of clothes that helped when i first started loosing. Now I'm just buying a few basic pieces - 1 pair of work pants a few tops 1 pair of jeans and mostly dresses. Just buying a little bit here and there to get me through til i reach my goal weight. Just mention it to people that you have nothing that fits- you'd be surprised who might say i have something for you!
  • Sara2525
    Sara2525 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! I have gone from a size 12 to a size 4 and have only bought a couple of things that actually fit. When I'm not at work, I live in my running shorts and tank tops. I have several skirts that I can still wear that are too big but not obvious. I would purchase those types of things that you can wear a size too big so when you lose more weight you can still wear them. You could also look at your local Good will store or consignment shop for some good deals.

I donate most of my clothes to a church but I have a friend that just had a baby that takes some as well.

Congrats on your weight loss!
  • jenniflower75
    jenniflower75 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    when i first started loosing weight i swore i would not buy any new cloths till i reached my goal... well at 235 iwasnt wearing jeans, they were just too uncomfortable and made me feel bigger than i was so i stuck to stretchy pants of all kinds of sorts.. i wouldnt get more than a size large so they were tght on me then but are fitting better now.. i did buy a few pairs of pants and a few shirts since then because i was SWIMMING in my shirts and the pants were a reward for me because i was small enough that they were no longer uncomfortable. but i bought them off a bargin rack i think i spent like $25 for three pairs of jeans. ive only bought two more pairs since then and ithink three shirts... i have about 4 pairs of stretchy pants that still fit for the most part a few tshirts that i dont care if they are big.. i went nuts and bought a bunch of tank tops and i have five pairs of jeans some tighter than others. I plan to buy a new wardrob when i get to my goal weight but for now this is good enough.. what doesnt fit i will give to goodwill. hope that helps, but i would definitely go the stretchy pants route, they are generally pretty cheapand will last through varying weights