How much do you tip your garbageman?

Options
mayaocean
mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering how much I should tip the waste management crew, since tomorrow morning is pick up day.

How much do you guys usually tip your garbageman?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    What? WHo does that?

Well, apparently, the OP.

Asked and answered. I'll be here all week.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    do you need to tip them??????
  • mayaocean
    Options
    do you need to tip them??????

Yes, they do hard work and deserve it more than people who carry around food in climate controlled environments.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I just leave a 12 pack of cold ones sitting in the snow bank next to the garbage can.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    what the heck...no
  • Celtic_Ace
    Options
    big difference there. One of them has their salary based on tips and the other one doesn't. Its not a matter of who works harder or is more deserving. Most garbageman get paid well with benefits and most waiters barely make an hourly wage.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Of course I do... they take away my garbage. Why wouldn't I tip them for their service?
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    I just leave a 12 pack of cold ones sitting in the snow bank next to the garbage can.

I do the same but I drink them all first.
  • AyeCorona
    AyeCorona Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My disposal service has a spot on the invoice where you can include a tip...I usually add $20 for Xmas.

ETA: Same thing for other services like postman, groomer, etc.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    If I were in the sanitation business, I'd appreciate a visual tip followed by thank you for working so hard.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about someone trying to give me money when it isn't customary to do so.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i dont.

and i don't understand why other people do. ours even has the nerve to give us an envelope to put his tip in and asks us to mail it to him b/c he says if we leave it out for him, people will steal it. and that's probably true.

and i like to think of myself as a generous tipper, just not to someone who is doing their job and getting paid to do it. waiters and people like that make less money as tips are then included. but mailmen, my son's bus driver, and the garbage man all make a salary.

there are about 30 kids on my son's bus. if everyone of them gave him $10 to dunkin donuts, he would have $300 in gift cards to dunkin donuts. and that's just one route. he drives at least three routes per day. so at the end of the day the guy can potentially have almost a $1000 in gift cards...just for doing what he is paid to do anyway. seems excessive, if you ask me.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Oh Chloe :laugh:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    you tip them? what's next the postman, your nurse, the meter reader? No, I pay you $60 a month dump it and move on.
  • mayaocean
    Options
    you tip them? what's next the postman, your nurse, the meter reader? No, I pay you $60 a month dump it and move on.

Yes, I also tip the mailman
  • Celtic_Ace
    Options
    cruel but funny as hell
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    We don't have garbagemen in the UK. We have bin-men. And I don't think anybody tips them - ours come at the crack of dawn anyway.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I leave my mail carrier a card.
  • AyeCorona
    AyeCorona Posts: 204 Member
    Options

$60 a month for trash service? That's insane!! I think mine is $46 per quarter including recycling. I'm in Georgia.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I leave ours a gift card during the Holidays, last year was 20 Walmart one.

But again this depends on where you live, some might straight out find it insulting if the amount is little vs not leaving anything (which is weird).