How Do I Figure Out The Nutrition Info Per Serving...

Options
...On My WHOLE PESTO SAUCE Recipe???!!!?

I make a skinny version of a pesto sauce...if i put together all my ingredients for my pesto the recipe says it yields 1/4c per serving. The total nutrition info for the entire recipe is as follows:

2cups Fresh Basil Leaves (8cal)
2cloves Fresh Garlic (10cal)
1/4cup Parmesan Cheese (80cal)
1tbsp. Olive Oil (120cal)
1/4cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth (4cal)

222 Calories
18g Fat
4g Carbs
11g Protein

How would i figure out what this would be per serving??? Im having a superrrr brain fart about how to figure this out lol Does "Yields 1/4C per serving" mean the whole recipe is a 1/4C (4 tbsp.) so basically just divide everything by 4 and consider 1 tbsp. a serving?

my apologies for sounding like a complete idiot...its been a long day hahah

Replies

• sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Normally if a recipe says a volume per serving, it will also say number of servings, in this case though I guess it could be a quarter cup as the basil will reduce down quite a bit...

If I were you though I would make it, weigh the total and then weigh each 'serving' that you have. Calculate the total cals per serving from that. Weighing is always the most accurate way to do these things.
  • ThirdEyeOpen
    Options
    Normally if a recipe says a volume per serving, it will also say number of servings, in this case though I guess it could be a quarter cup as the basil will reduce down quite a bit...

If I were you though I would make it, weigh the total and then weigh each 'serving' that you have. Calculate the total cals per serving from that. Weighing is always the most accurate way to do these things.

Thanks so much..i think i totally got it!!! it yields 1/4cup with the recipe & volume of ingredients im using. So if i do a tbsp. is a serving i just divide all this by 4 and i get my "per tablespoon" nutrition facts.

1 Tbsp. (Serving)
    55.5 Calories
    4.5g Fat
    1 Carb
    2.75g Protein
    325g Sodium

SWEET!!! just needed to give my brain a little jump start lol. thanks again
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious -- did you actually make it, measure the finished total recipe, and end up with a volume of only 1/4 cup from the whole recipe? I just find it hard to believe that 2 cups of basil, 1/4 cup cheese, 1/4 cup broth, and 1 Tbsp oil, plus a couple of cloves of garlic, will only yield 1/4 cup of pesto. I realize the basil will take up a lot less space when it gets chopped up, but I would don't understand why the other ingredients would take up less volume when combined. I can't imagine it making less than 3/4 cup, and probably more like 1 cup.
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This is why I always work with weights where possible, rather than estimated volumes