Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    5' 10"
    40 mins day/5 days bike commute to work
    45 mins day/5 days strength training
    2 days rest

I do post every day but not as regularly on weekends. I absolutely watch how much I eat and try to eat at a deficit of what MFP is suggesting. Since I restarted my routine 4 months ago with workouts and eating habits, at first I gained a little more than 5lbs but in the last 3 weeks have seen a little more than 5lb loss.

Personally, your stats would suggest 1800 to be a good goal. I would also set macro's around 35% carbs, 35% protein and 30% fats. This will enable you to hit 1g of protein and .35g of fat per lb of lean body mass. I would ask though, can you open your diary? And do you use a food scale for measuring foods?

When I first started this current program I was using a food scale and measuring cups pretty regularly. Now I feel I can estimate it pretty well and I am so motivated I don't even try to cheat. If anything I aim 'heavy' on my food estimates to avoid fooling myself into thinking I am eating less.
    One note. I am absolutely 100% committed to lose my 10+ pounds and building muscle. Also, with the holidays upon us, I know that making any drastic change in carbs in my house will be next to impossible.

I can open my diary and will do that now. BTW, what do you mean by "This will enable you to hit 1g of protein and .35g of fat per lb of lean body mass."

According to various other studies, the ideal goal for protein intake is around .8 - 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. When combined with resistance training, this will improve muscle retention. Below is a good thread on a lot of the research. Also, similar studies generally recommends about .35g of fat per lb of lean body mass. Lean body mass is everything in your body not fat (tissue, organs, bone, muscle, etc...).

Also, as good as you think you are at estimating, you are probably way off. While when you are obese, you can get away with not measuring as much, it's much more critical to be precise as you get closer to your ideal weight/body fat %. I would highly recommend starting to weigh and measure foods again to ensure success.

And I understand with the holidays it's going to be tough and I am in the same boat, but just understand that after, I would highly recommend looking to replace carbs with protein.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    RDA recommendation is 0.8g per kilogram of body weight - roughly 0.36g per pound.

Also, for a significant percentage of dieters, resistance training actually accelerates loss of lean body mass - people need to understand that it's not a magic bullet and what happens with their LBM is mostly determined by what they eat and their genetics.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I believe I am hearing all of you so far saying keep with general calorie deficit and don't obsess over what foods to avoid.

Am I reading that right?

Yes - barring any medical issues....don't sweat carbs (too much)

Protein is important for maintaining muscle mass while eating at a calorie defict....think of the goal here as....this is my minimum number.

Fat is important for many bodily functions too.

Carbs are energy.....we all need energy. However, carbs get a bad rap because there are many (carbs) that are highly processed....and many of the nutrients are lost....or extra fat, sugar, sodium, etc. is added....and you end up with more calories & less nutrition than you thought. Keep carbs in their most natural state, if you can.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    What's been working for me is low carb and high fat. I've shed almost 30 lbs and my body looks so much better. PLUS I'm now in single digit sized pants!

all you did was create a calorie deficit by not eating carbs or low carb..

you could of achieved the same eating 25-30% carbs and eating in a calorie deficit..
  • psuLemon
    Options
    RDA recommendation is 0.8g per kilogram of body weight - roughly 0.36g per pound.

Also, for a significant percentage of dieters, resistance training actually accelerates loss of lean body mass - people need to understand that it's not a magic bullet and what happens with their LBM is mostly determined by what they eat and their genetics.

Is that a typo that resistance training accelerates loss in lean body mass? Because all the studies I have seen suggest quite the opposite that resistance training increase muscle retention.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Is that RDA for people on a calorific deficit looking to lose weight?

What is it backed up by?
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    What's been working for me is low carb and high fat. I've shed almost 30 lbs and my body looks so much better. PLUS I'm now in single digit sized pants!

you could of achieved the same eating 25-30% carbs and eating in a calorie deficit..

Actually, before keto, I was not losing anything for months and my measurements were not changing whatsoever. I was eating 1500 calories a day. I eat about the same amount now, sometimes more if I work out more, but I'm actually losing weight AND inches. So no, I could not have achieved the same thing.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Is that RDA for people on a calorific deficit looking to lose weight?

What is it backed up by?

I have no idea how they came up with the number. I'm not defending it, I'm just passing it along as a previous poster mentioned RDA recommendations. Personally, my macros have protein set to double that.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Actually, before keto, I was not losing anything for months and my measurements were not changing whatsoever. I was eating 1500 calories a day. I eat about the same amount now, sometimes more if I work out more, but I'm actually losing weight AND inches. So no, I could not have achieved the same thing.

Then there are mistakes in your logging.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

I was about to say improper tracking, lol.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so you can eat 4000 calories a day on Keto and still lose weight? Because what you are saying is that calories in vs calories out does not work ...
  • michaelsontag
    Options
    I too endorse low carb, high fat, moderate protein.
    Tons of water.
    Lots of working out (with at least half being low intensity)
  • psuLemon
    Options

Unless there is an underlying medical condition or insulin resistance. But most people don't have to worry about this.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    To lose weight it's not either lower carbs or lower calories. For fat loss a calorie deficit is the only thing that is absolutely "required". Whether you choose to lower your carb intake isn't going to matter as long as you are in a calorie deficit.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Can you explain how resistance training causes LBM loss??? :huh:

I think you meant resistance training keeps you from losing LBM while in a deficit. Right?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Both protein and carbs are 4cals per gram. So I would say the only reason that would work is satiety, likelihood to retain LBM while in a deficit, and water weight.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

so you can eat 4000 calories a day on Keto and still lose weight? Because what you are saying is that calories in vs calories out does not work ...

Did I say that? I don't think I did, so don't put words in my mouth. The way I was eating before didn't work, so I tried a new way and it does. And I feel much better eating this way. What is with the keto hate-on? Am I forcing you to eat my way? Don't think so.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

For me, I do way better when I'm low-carb, high fat. Regarding your 4000 calorie keto comment, I would challenge you to try to eat that much with no carbs.

Here are my thoughts:

1 - I agree that calories do matter, however, it's a lot easier to eat fewer calories on low carb. Carbs are not nearly as filling as fat or protein.

2 - Eating the same amount of calories, I lose noticeably quicker on low carb. I'm not sure how this works but it does. Studies seem to indicate that it may be caloric output that is accelerated when eating a lower carb, higher fat diet (one study estimated it at about 300 calories per day).

3 - There are also exaggerated weight-loss claims by early low-carb adopters that skew this. A lot of early weight is lost since this is water weight. Since water binds to carbs, you will lose a lot of weight quickly by going low-carb. As soon as you're off, the water wight comes back on.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Can you explain how resistance training causes LBM loss??? :huh:

If I have time, I'll dig up the links. The short version of the story is that the human body has a variety of responses of caloric deficits, and one of them, found in about 1 in 4 people, is to shed muscle in response to weight training under a caloric deficit.

There's a thread on specifically this somewhere in the archives...
  • presbyreformed
    presbyreformed Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Also, as good as you think you are at estimating, you are probably way off. While when you are obese, you can get away with not measuring as much, it's much more critical to be precise as you get closer to your ideal weight/body fat %. I would highly recommend starting to weigh and measure foods again to ensure success.

And I understand with the holidays it's going to be tough and I am in the same boat, but just understand that after, I would highly recommend looking to replace carbs with protein.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake

Wow I read some of those threads and there is some good info in there. I agree with you now that I should start accurately tracking my intake. Right now I plan to maintain through the end of the year, and hit it hard early in January after the holidays. I am not obese but do need to lose my middle fat. I want to get much stronger, not 'bulk up' but definitely build up and tone so I want to gain LBM and lose fat.

I downloaded that pdf referenced in one of the threads I just chased and will be reading that the next few days. Thanks